Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

anyone with GD please help!

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:56 PM
  • 7 Replies
My dr just put me on a diet yesterday and set me up with a blood sugar tester doohickey. the diet plan he gave me tells me how many servings of each food group to have at every meal & 3 snacks. but I have a few questions that didn't even cross my mind until now..

1. I have to test 2hrs after meals, so when should I eat my snack? right after I test?

2. I've noticed candy isn't in my serving conversion packet... if I happen to need some chocolatey bliss when would be the best time to have a little?

3. after my first meal on the diet I'm still hungry... what should I do?! I've always had a big appetite & I tend to eat A LOT so this tiny breakfast they gave me just isn't cuttin it!

thanks for your help and any other advice is welcome :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
greentealover18
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:53 PM
bump!
pacificamom
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:55 PM

bump

RedheadMama18
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I eat a lot of fresh vegetables and fruit to help fill meals.  I test one hour after every meal so I will eat my big meal, test, then have a snack.  If I want a piece of candy I eat it after I test or at the end of the day before bed.  I have found ways to still fill my sweet cravings without making myself sick from too much sugar.  The weight watchers dark chocolate and raspberry ice cream bars are delicious and one bar has 12 grams of carbs.  

Pandapanda
by Amber on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Don't worry so much about strict food groups or particular items. Did they give you a carb limit? There are sooooo many options!

aussiechic
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:49 PM

i drink more water or eat more salad if i'm still hungry.  I m allowed to check my sugar either 1 hr after eating or 2.  If i have to have something sweet.... I'll eat it for my snack. :)  That way by the time I eat that second meal and recheck, it hasn't effected it. 

Twincubator1130
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:53 PM

It might depend on your specific dietary needs, but I was just diagnosed as well and this is what I'm doing:

I'm on a 2100 calorie/18 carb a day diet. My carbs are split up like this-- (1 carb choice = 15g of carbs)

Breakfast: 2 carbs or less

Morning snack: 2 carbs

Lunch: 5 carbs

Afternoon snack: 2 carbs

Dinner: 5 carbs

Evening/bedtime snack: 2 carbs

I usually eat something like a packet of instant oatmeal and an egg or something for breakfast... focusing more on proteins. For morning/afternoon snacks I'll eat a few low-fat Ritz crackers with natural peanut butter and a piece of cheese or something. Lunch and dinner are tons of carbs, so if I want dessert/chocolate, I will usually sacrifice some carbs either at dinner (I might use 3 carbs choices toward real food and save 2 for dessert) or I'll use my bedtime snack for dessert.

I have a pretty healthy appetite and this schedule has worked well for me. I get up with DH in the morning around 7 and test my fasting sugar, then eat breakfast around 8. I test again two hours later and I'll have my first snack within an hour of testing or so. Then lunch, test two hours later, snack within an hour of testing. Same with dinner.

The thing they told me about breakfast is, I can eat a whole omelette if I want. I just have to keep the carbs down. For example, I had a western omelette and bacon from Bob Evans my first morning after diabetic education and the dietician said it was a great choice (It was a three-egg omelette with ham, onions and peppers, plus a side of bacon... AND I was allowed to have an english muffin for a carb!). So there are ways that you can eat enough to curb your appetite, you just have to focus more on the proteins and vitamins/veggies/etc. and less on carbs.

Also, if this helps, Weight Watchers has great ice cream bars that are decent choices for a snack if you want chocolate, and I have discovered that Lindor truffles (the fancy expensive kind that come in the little bags in different flavors) are 3 truffles = 1 carb choice.

Hope this helps, but definitely check with your doctor or dietician if you plan to use any of this information long-term!!!

greentealover18
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:06 PM
they didn't even mention carbs. he gave me a chart & circled the 2100 calorie a day column. for ever meal & snack it has how many servings of each food group to eat and then I look in the packet to see how much a serving is for diff foods in each group.
it's my first day so I'm a little overwhelmed! but I see him on the 26th so I'll deff talk to him more about it then.

Quoting Pandapanda:

Don't worry so much about strict food groups or particular items. Did they give you a carb limit? There are sooooo many options!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)