Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

labor....Doulala help us out!

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:14 PM
  • 21 Replies
I had my 36 week 2 day appt yesterday. I asked to be checked. I am 2cm and 80% thinned out. My question is how can I tell if I've dilated anymore ? I know there is an external way of doing it . Can someone explain how this works ?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AmyL3469
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:03 PM

They can check you at your appointments. But you can stay 2 cm up until hours after you start labor. I was 2 cm for 5 weeks before my water broke. You can definitely ask them to check you when you go into your appointments though.

nikkifam5
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:06 PM
Lol I know all this. This is our 4th. But there is a way to tell just by feeling your stomach during a contraction . I can't remember what its called. A few moms on here have mentioned it .

Quoting AmyL3469:

They can check you at your appointments. But you can stay 2 cm up until hours after you start labor. I was 2 cm for 5 weeks before my water broke. You can definitely ask them to check you when you go into your appointments though.

AmyL3469
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:08 PM

I've never heard of feeling your stomach to see how far dilated you are.

mama2gg
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:09 PM
I worked ob and never heard of this

Quoting nikkifam5:

Lol I know all this. This is our 4th. But there is a way to tell just by feeling your stomach during a contraction . I can't remember what its called. A few moms on here have mentioned it .

Quoting AmyL3469:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nikkifam5
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:11 PM
A few of the natural moms mentioned it. I believe doualala was one of them. I found a website. That explains it. But I want to see if anyone has experience.

Quoting mama2gg:

Quoting nikkifam5:

Quoting AmyL3469:

nikkifam5
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:12 PM
Found the website I'll post the link

Quoting AmyL3469:

I've never heard of feeling your stomach to see how far dilated you are.

mama2gg
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:12 PM
Very cool can you link

Quoting nikkifam5:

A few of the natural moms mentioned it. I believe doualala was one of them. I found a website. That explains it. But I want to see if anyone has experience.

Quoting mama2gg:

Quoting nikkifam5:

Quoting AmyL3469:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nikkifam5
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:16 PM
I'm trying. New phone have no clue how to post the link. I'll fry just copying and pasting the paragraph.

Quoting mama2gg:

Very cool can you link

Quoting nikkifam5:

Quoting mama2gg:

Quoting nikkifam5:

Quoting AmyL3469:

nikkifam5
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:18 PM
During a contraction and with mom on her back, determine how many fingerbreadths of space are between the fundus [top of the uterus] and xiphoid process [the triangular tip of the breastbone] at the height of a contraction.

5 fb = no dilation
4 fb = 2 cm
3 fb = 4 cm
2 fb = 6 cm
1 fb = 8 cm
0 fb = complete

Quoting mama2gg:

Very cool can you link

Quoting nikkifam5:

Quoting mama2gg:

Quoting nikkifam5:

Quoting AmyL3469:

Devious103102
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Quoting AmyL3469:

this! I was 2.5-3cm (and effaced) with DD2 at 30-32wks so everyone SWORE I was going to have her early (did have a few boughts of pre-term labor but only contractions, never dilating past that) and she stayed nice and firmly in place till exactly 2wks after my due date! (was due March 7, started having random/sporatic contractions the 19th and after 20 or so hours of that and went in to get checked and was actually "closed" a bit (was 2cm when they checked me) so they doc broke my water at 630 on the 20th and she was born 1227am the 21st!). 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)