• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How quickly can you get pregnant after birth?

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:55 PM
  • 18 Replies

My youngest is currently seven weeks, we want to have more kids and would like for our next child to not have a large age gap. We are thinking about not actively trying, but not not trying to get pregnant either, out of curiosity, how soon after birth can someone get pregnant again? Does it matter if someone breastfeeds or not?

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LucyHarper
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:07 PM

BUMP!

mommyof2kids306
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:09 PM
BUMP!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Turtledoves
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:12 PM
You're very fertile after having a baby. You can get pregnant at any time.

If you exclusively breastfeed, it may take longer for your cycles to return.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Larsbug
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:15 PM

you are extremely fertile after giving birth hence the "no sex for 6 weeks"...breastfeeding helps but isn't a for sure way to not have them too quickly after each other

GaBrIeLlEsMaMa
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:17 PM
I am pretty sure you can get pregnant right away.. baby number 2 was 10 weeks old when I found out I was pregnant with baby number 3..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
unspecified42
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Very quickly. The quickest I've seen is about 2 weeks (her second baby was a micropremie and died within 48 hours). Breastfeeding will sometimes delay ovulation, so it might be harder to conceive.

However, it's not something I (or any practitioner) would advise doing. Your body needs to rest. Even if you feel ok, your uterus is still workin gon getting back to normal and your body is replenishing its stores that it used up during your pregnancy. Most practitioners will advise 6 months between pregnancies (provided it's an uncomplicated singleton pregnancy and vaginal birth), but research shows that conceiving prior to a year increases risks of all kinds of complications, from placental abruption to autism.

ColieO
by Gold Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:21 PM
Well my dad and his brother are 10 months apart, neither born early. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kelly617
by Gold Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:53 PM

Yes,  breastfeeding can stop ovulation especially if you're exclusively breastfeeding.

Basically you CAN get pregnant as soon as you ovulate. But doctors recommend waiting a year to help your body recoup from being pregnant. You need to rebuild your stores of vitamins so that you have a healthy body ready to carry another baby

mama2gg
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:56 PM
2-3 weeks
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sissy852
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 12:19 AM
i got pregnant with ds2 when ds1 was 3 1/2 mo. I am now 38 weeks 1 day preggos
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)