Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Quit smoking cold turkey ?

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:22 PM
  • 13 Replies
1 mom liked this
Is it safe to quit smoking cold turkey ? I was smoking a pack a day and now down to a half a pack a day I wanna just try going cold turkey but was told it could affect the baby. Opinions ?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
orangeshirt
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:31 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes, it's safe. Why wouldn't it be? Don't you think smoking half a pack a day or more is riskier than the very brief stress of going cold turkey (stress that has not been proven to be experienced simultaneously by the baby)?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Terpsichore
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Talk to a medical professional. There are a lot of variables at play: how many cigarettes smoked a day, how far along pregnant, medical conditions. 

EthansMomma2010
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:46 PM

actually it's not as safe. i found this out after i did it. you are down to half pack. try just 4 cigs a day for like 3 days and then one a day for the rest of the week, then be done. cold turkey isn't good but you can cut down pretty fast without a problem.

StephanieMellen
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:21 PM
I'm down to a half a pack a day if that. Ill hit a cig a few times and then put it out. I'm estimated about 5 weeks along . And have no health issues

Quoting Terpsichore:

Talk to a medical professional. There are a lot of variables at play: how many cigarettes smoked a day, how far along pregnant, medical conditions. 

MMerrill
by Melissa on Dec. 19, 2012 at 12:05 AM
1 mom liked this

If it stresses you out, it'll stress the baby out.  I quit cold turkey and was fine.

wedding countdown

CafeMom Tickers

Hot_Mama3792
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 12:08 AM

All I have to say is I quite when I found out I was pregnant :) so I would have to say that is the right thing to do. plus anything else you are smoking, just saying. lol 

Courtney & Zoey Princess's <3

Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Dec. 19, 2012 at 1:21 AM

I think at only half a pack a day, it would be safe to just quit. Check with your doctor to be safe though. And good luck!

LuvsHopesDreams
by Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 1:08 PM

I would try to cut down gradually till you get to the point you can quit.  I was only smoking about 12-15 a day when I found out I was pregnant last time, and though I tried to go cold turkey I couldn't do it.  I cut down every day, and I was able to quit (aside from a few stress cigs) after about two weeks.  We'll see how I do the next time, because I'm at about a pack a day now (I really want to quit before I get pregnant, and have been trying, but I'm finding it's not quite as easy now).  Just remember: every cig less you smoke is better for the baby.

momtwentythree
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 1:23 PM
I smoked a pack to two packs a day now I'm down to smoking a few cigs a day depending on how stressed I am. I have tried cold Turkey but can't do it. I wish you luck on quiting
mem82
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 1:35 PM

I agree. The pregnancy can be affected.

Quoting Terpsichore:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)