Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Contractions....Ever experienced this. Help!

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 12:01 PM
  • 5 Replies

Ok....so I have contractions ever few hours sometimes ever hour sometimes more then one and hour. Thats not my problem though...My question is this...

Has anyone ever had a contraction last 3-4 minutes or longer. I use a stopwatch to time mine and some of them have been this long. When I was in the hospital 2 weeks ago and on a monitor my mom & hubby noticed that my contractions would start and peek and then begin to fall but before it was over it would peek again and then it would fall and go away. Im guessing this is why they last so long??? Anyone else do this? Should it be considered 1 or 2 contractions?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 12:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
mem82
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 12:05 PM

I've heard of Pitocin inducing double peaks. Yikes! This is something I would discuss with your OB. You'll need an air tight pain management plan to help. 8)

Jamie0121
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 12:11 PM

No Pitocin here. WHen I went to the hospital 2 weeks ago they gave me some magnesium meds to stop my contractions because I was having them every 5 minutes. I fell down and had been under a lot of stress at work. The doctor said the fall didnt cause it but the stress could of. Im on modified bed rest-still allowed to walk around and get up just have to take it easy, no lifting or work. 

I keep meaning to ask the doctor about this my main question is should it be counted as 1 or 2 contractions? And I actually did really well with the pain the hospital, I know it will get more intense when I actually have her though. Im just glad someone has heard of it!

Quoting mem82:

I've heard of Pitocin inducing double peaks. Yikes! This is something I would discuss with your OB. You'll need an air tight pain management plan to help. 8)

CafeMom Tickers
mem82
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Hm, I would count it as one contraction because the way you count normal contractions is the very start of one to the very start of the next after a break. How long is the break between the last peak and the next contraction?

Quoting Jamie0121:

No Pitocin here. WHen I went to the hospital 2 weeks ago they gave me some magnesium meds to stop my contractions because I was having them every 5 minutes. I fell down and had been under a lot of stress at work. The doctor said the fall didnt cause it but the stress could of. Im on modified bed rest-still allowed to walk around and get up just have to take it easy, no lifting or work. 

I keep meaning to ask the doctor about this my main question is should it be counted as 1 or 2 contractions? And I actually did really well with the pain the hospital, I know it will get more intense when I actually have her though. Im just glad someone has heard of it!

Quoting mem82:

Diamondblue1
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 12:20 PM
I've experienced that with my oldest daughter but it happened when they put pitocin in my iv to speed up my labor. It was bad. I considered it double contractions.
Jamie0121
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Normally 20 minutes or more. I never have more than 3 in an hour sometimes its an hour or so between them. They are not regular for now.

Quoting mem82:

Hm, I would count it as one contraction because the way you count normal contractions is the very start of one to the very start of the next after a break. How long is the break between the last peak and the next contraction?

Quoting Jamie0121:

Quoting mem82:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)