Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breast feeding questions/concerns??

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 8:58 PM
  • 8 Replies
So, as I'm writing this I am googling questions and such, I just want answers from moms who've been there.

I have a 5yr old DD that I tried to breast feed...but she was in the NICU for 17 days after she was born and fed through tubes for a long time. I tried to keep up and pump but I just couldn't get much. Regardless I pumped for an entire month and when she was able tried to breast feed but she wouldn't latch long or was always hungry...I ended up having to switch to formula.

So with this one I had thought I'd just start with formula off the bat and save my breasts the pain. I'm also going back to work at a restaurant when I'm able. Sadly I can't be a SAHM...how do you deal with that when you're working. I know offices and things alow you to pump and even have areas designated for that but...Panera doesn't. And I'll be working 8-9 hr shifts. SO really wants metto breast feed...I'm just scared to go through all this again. The first time I felt so inadequate... not even being able to feed my baby. Idk. Thoughts? Advice?
“If death meant just leaving the stage long enough to change costume and come back as a new character...Would you slow down? Or speed up?”
― Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 8:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
kmqw229
by Ruby Member on Dec. 21, 2012 at 12:14 AM
I would start by speaking with your doctor. Drs and nurses can help you get a good start right away in the hospital.

I would express any pumping issues asap with your work. Maybe you can work something out

Also, you could try bfing baby when you are together & using formula when you have to be away.

Good luck!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
doulala
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 2:24 AM

It is really work preparing your mind, body, and job for what is safest and healthiest~
This time won't be like before, different circumstances, different baby.
Consider some options or create new ones!   ;-)

You can use any space at work, even if it's a closet or bosses office or ?
You can have baby brought to you every 3 hours.
Work a shorter shift, work it out with manager & other will employee(s).

brittany208
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Also, I think your body makes milk on a supply and demand basis. So you can choose to give formula during the day, then pump at night for bedtime--so at least LO is getting SOME breastmilk.

MMerrill
by Melissa on Dec. 21, 2012 at 6:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I know how you feel...my son has been in the NICU 2 months and my milk production is horrible with pumping, I've tried to get him to breast feed several times and he wont latch.  He's going home soon and I'm so scared I'll have to use formula.  I don't blame you for not wanting to go through it again, BUT even if you can only breast feed for a short period of time you need to!  I'm sure you already know how good it is, even a little bit will benefit your baby.  And who knows...maybe next time around it will be easier.  As far as pumping, maybe you can do it on your break in the car or bathroom and at least try to get one pumping session a day in while you are at work.  You can find a way!  Don't give up!

wedding countdown

CafeMom Tickers

muchlovedby4
by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 3:51 AM
My oldest dd was deathly ill from wk 3 to wk 6. I stayed engorged and sore cuz i just couldn't get enough milk to express- manual stim and manual pumps didn't work AT ALL. But i was determined to BF after she got well, so we worked thru the frustration (and, yes, the pain) and finally got it right.
Fear of circumstances is a normal response when faced with the unknown. If you are determined, tho, you CAN do it. Let nature take its course- your body knows what to do.
Also, remember... The company you work for HAS to accommodate you in your attempt to BF. It's the law. So, find the courage to talk to them now. The more prepared they are, the better off you will all be.
Stay strong and GL momma!

P.S. there is NOTHING to be ashamed of if you have to FF for any reason. I didn't have the same success with DS1 as i did with DD1. He turned the breast loose on his own at 3 months and wouldn't take it back. Just do what you need to do for a healthy baby. :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
07lilmama1108
by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 7:46 AM
My first i never tried bfing. I got.her to latch at 5 days and my mom said "get her off! You don't want that!". With my second i wasso determined to bf! My ins paid for a pump, he latched right away, no bottles or pacis.until he was 6 weeks etc. I am a shift manager in a restaurant and pumped every 3 hours during a shift. I also worked nothing longer than 6 hours because ds wouldn't take a bottle while i was away. Breastfeeding my son has been way easier than formula feeding my daughter.
its all up to you and what you want to do, this is just my personal experience. Congrats on baby
YzmaRocks
by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 10:52 AM
First of all, I believe by law they have to provide some place for you to pump. Break room something. I think it depends on your state though so check on that.

Second, you can do both. If you simply can't pump at work or have a hard time pumping enough (some women have a hard time with pumping), give formula while you are away and nurse while baby is with you. This would solve the problem too.
shortyali
by Bronze Member on Dec. 24, 2012 at 11:11 AM
Everything above but also I would suggest going over to the breastfeeding group and just lurk and learn. Ask questions if you have them and those ladies know their stuff. Plus there's a few IBCLCs that answer too and can help.

Also you don't have to be a sahm to nurse. I nursed for 22 months and worked outside of the home.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)