Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

What did you wear in labor?

Posted by   + Show Post

So, I keep hearing that there is a point in labor when you no longer care about modesty.  That will be wonderful, but until then...I'm a pretty modest person.  

I don't want to wear the hospital gown....it's just ew.  

I think we've settled on a t-shirt I have that is really stretchy to come down pretty far and cover my rear and such.  The doula also suggested laboring with yoga pants on for awhile.  

The shirt pulls down from my chest easily for the skin to skin/breastfeeding.  

What did you wear for labor? 

by on Dec. 23, 2012 at 8:23 PM
Replies (31-40):
mnmo3bb
by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 4:22 AM
We dress very modestly. I wore my own long sleeved shirt & skirt. Both that I didn't care about getting ruined... When I got into the birthing tub I did wear just a bra and skirt... Which got in the way for the midwife and I ended up pulling it up so it sort of looked like I was wearing a short tank dress... Will be interesting to see how the pics turned out... Alot will be for our eyes only as we don't wear tanks or show skin on a normal basis.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CjEmmemommy
by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 5:46 AM

I wore my swin top tank and my pj bottoms until 7cm (the only time my midwife checked me) once naked from the waist down I stayed that way on a ball and then in the birthing tub.

Angela4boys
by Member on Dec. 24, 2012 at 7:55 AM
Gown, let them deal with the mess :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
FarmGirl2B
by Silver Member on Dec. 24, 2012 at 9:12 AM
I wore a hospital gown, even in the tub. It provided the easiest access. I was completely covered which allowed for company while I was soaking, and I could rip it off in a second.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nikkifam5
by Silver Member on Dec. 24, 2012 at 9:14 AM
The hospital gown. I didn't care what I wore actually. It was the last thing on my mind lol. It was actually no different then wearing a night gown.
headingsouth13
by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 9:18 AM

with my daughter  i wore a sports bra and a pair of soft cotton shorts until i got into the birth tub and then it was just the sports bra

S_morgan09
by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 10:17 AM
My water broke on its own so bottoms were out for me, I couldn't imagine sitting in my goo (thats what it felt like to me lol) for that long. I had a big tshirt of my husbands and before I got my iv I switched into a hospital gown because I could take it off and just cover with a blanket if I got hot (which I did) This time I am planning on getting my own gown that wraps around =]
RheaF
by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 10:21 AM
The hospital gown. I have two kids already and know how messy and gross labor gets. I was more than happy to take the gown off afterward so they could burn it, lol.
YzmaRocks
by Gold Member on Dec. 24, 2012 at 10:45 AM
I am a very modest person. I ended up in just a bra with all three, lol. After transition, all I cared about was being comfortable and clothes of any kind were not comfy to me at all.
ACsLady
by Bronze Member on Dec. 24, 2012 at 10:51 AM

With my first, I wore a big t-shirt for most of it. Toward the end, that came off because I was super hot. It was just me and my hubby in the bathroom laboring, so I wasn't inhibited or self-conscious about that. By the time the midwives and everyone else came in, baby was coming so it wasn't a big deal then either. I felt safe and ok with it.

With my second, my nightgown stayed on the whole time. It's just what I put on after a bath earlier in labor and the atmosphere was much more chaotic. I didn't feel secure...I felt vulnerable. I had a fan blowing on me to help with the overheating and just did my best to block things out. That was a fast, crazy labor.

With my third, I was fully dressed for most of it because we were out of the house (out of state for most of the day in fact). Once we got home and I was able to really settle into labor, things slowly changed. I kept clothes on for a while because it was winter and cold. Eventually I took off my skirt so it didn't get in the way and I could be free below the waist to do what I needed to. Sweater came off later and I just wrapped up in a blanket. By the end, the room was nice and toasty and I wore nothing. Baby was born in the shower too, so definitely no clothes.

All mine were born at home. We had midwives attending with the first two and a freebirth with the third. I was most comfortable with my third.

If I were to be in the hospital, I'm pretty sure I'd end up wearing something the whole time because I would not feel comfortable and safe. It would be very difficult for me to labor in the hospital.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)