Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

If you've had an induction, please come here..

Posted by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 9:43 AM
  • 65 Replies
I am scheduled to be induced wednesday and I am so nervous!

Yes, yes. I know I'm being selfish for doing so but I have my reasons as to why I've agreed to be induced. I will be 40w5d.

This is my first baby and I am so scared honestly...please, can anyone give me a walk though our a play-by-play of what is going to happen? I have the basics....

I go in between 7-9 pm Tomorrow night. They do paperwork, start an IV and I get settled. (DH is staying with me) at midnight they start one medicine (cervidile I think, I've had no cervical progression). Is this IV or what?

At 6-8am wednesday they start pitocine if I'm dilated enough. And then what? How long might labor last? I am asking that they NOT artificially break my water unless they actually HAVE to.

Like I said, I really just want a walk through...please and thank you!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 9:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
arigdon4
by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 10:24 AM
Bump
Austinsmommy126
by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 10:30 AM
I was induced with my youngest. easiest labor i've had! cervadil is a gel directly placed on your cervix, can't even feel it. I don't have the time to type out my entire labor and delivery....but I will give you one tip. If you plan on getting an epidural, get it before contractions start heating up, or before they break your water. I did it early, and never felt one labor pain! Nurses weren't very keen on the idea, but I said "no epidural, then no water breaking!". They changed their mind quickly. Good luck!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mindysue852
by Member on Dec. 24, 2012 at 10:32 AM
1 mom liked this
My induction was at 38w3d and due to preeclampsia so my experience I'm sure wasn't anything like yours will be. I was dialated to 2 when I arrived at the hospital a little after noon, and a few hours later they broke my water and started the pitocin. By 630 pm I had to take iv pain meds and 730 I had to suck it up and get the epidural, but I think that is because of the magnesium they had me on made me really sick (due to the pre-e.) Finally at 11 pm I was dialated 10 and pushed for 2 hours before they told me there was no way baby was coming out vaginally and I had to have a csec. I was devastated but once your baby is in your arms none of the labor experience matters. I understand the extreme fear because I was one of those people that swore they never would have kids because the thought of labor was so terrifying to me, but it isn't that bad and even if it is bad it's only 1-2 days of your life max and the return is you give birth to the greatest child that will be with you the rest of your life :)
connorsmama06
by Bronze Member on Dec. 24, 2012 at 10:36 AM

I was induced with my first best labor of them all. 9 hours start to finish. I went in and they broke my water. That is all they did to me

nikkifam5
by Silver Member on Dec. 24, 2012 at 10:36 AM
I was induced with all 3. Well technically I was in labor with #2 but was given a small bit of pitocin. All my labors were under 6 hours... 5.5,5 and 3 to be exact. No complications, epis with all 3 , no issues from that etc... but not all experiences are good. Just be sure to educate yourself and be prepared for what COULD happen! And good luck :)
Duquesne
by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 10:38 AM
1 mom liked this
What's your bishop score?
ShesALady
by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 10:41 AM
I went in and they started pitocin through IV. I was able to get up and sit in a chair which helped me through contractions. They would come in periodically and up the pitocin and the contractions would get stronger. Not going to lie. They hurt and they come fast with pitocin. At 5 cm they broke my water. I got the epidural after that, but it didn't work. I had my baby an hour and a half after them breaking my water. She came out after 20 minutes of pushing. In all it was 7 1/2 hours of labor. My second was the same exact process except the epidural worked that time and labor was only 6 hours and I pushed 4 times and she was out. Everyone is different though. Hope everything goes well for you!!
westtxmomtobe
by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Well I'm not gonna be much help but for me I was scheduled to be induced on a Thursday at 10pm. Labor started Tuesday am around 5 am. Finally went in around 5 pm that day as the pain was getting horrendous. They gave me an epidural after much begging from the nurse and dh bc the back labor was awful. I was at 2 cm when I got there and around midnight the doc came in and said something about needing to do something to the baby. I was half asleep cause the epi was doing well on the pain. Well the "doing something" I later learned was her breaking my water to put a monitor thingy on her. So I was induced. Also I weirded the nurse cause around 3:45 am I told her, even though I had a catheter in, I felt like I was trying to hold my pee. When she came back in the room I got kinda pissy but asked if I could "let it out" cause I really had to pee. She said to go ahead but she wanted to check me to be safe even though the general consenses is the urge to poo when its time. Guess not for me the urge to pee meant it was time and Ella was born at 4:18. So my advice is be as alert as you can and definatly have someone with who knows what you want and is on super alert too, cause they suck at actually keeping you in the loop, at least here. But I think me walking in with a birth plan stating no drugs, no assistance unless medically neccisary and the like kinda ticked them off...

arigdon4
by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 10:45 AM
Uh..i haven't been told (not have I even heard that phrase) do I'm guessing not good.....?

Quoting Duquesne:

What's your bishop score?
notjstanothrmom
by Silver Member on Dec. 24, 2012 at 10:48 AM
2 moms liked this
If you know it's selfish then why do it? You're at such a higher risk for so many more complications and your baby gets distressed from the constant pitocen contractions and your c-section risk sky rockets.

It's truly a dumb thing to do unless you or baby's health is in serious jeopardy.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN