Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

against induction...why? **update** another ?

Posted by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 2:24 PM
  • 226 Replies
4 moms liked this
I have seen sooo many post about people saying that if their doctor offers induction they wont do it....why?

Im a small person and my babies run out of room...so if my doctors offer induction im all for it.. i mean after all they are doctors and know whats best i think... if they didnt know what they were doing then they wouldnt be a doctor...right? Or be any doctors...

I just get soo tired of people that arent doctors or even been in the medical field try to act like they know more than doctors... after so long of being in there it does get dangerous cause then the baby does get to big...read about it and know a few people it has happened to..... so i think following doctors orders are best....

Go ahead and bash away i know some of you think im nuts & you know more than your doctor does....

P.s. the internet does lie....you cant believe everything the net says...

**update**

Well isnt a doula or a midwife some what a doc? If you listen to them why not a doctor?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 2:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lilmama8408
by Silver Member on Dec. 24, 2012 at 2:27 PM
11 moms liked this
Most doctors ofer inductions to fit their own needs and not the health of mom and baby.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RheaF
by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 2:30 PM
3 moms liked this
I will not ok an induction unless there are valid medical reasons. For me, it is about my safety and health as well as my babies. There are so many complications that can happen with unnecessary inductions. Just not worth it to me. Not saying I know more than my Doctor, just that I will not plan my birth around anyone's schedule( which is a big reason Doctors do inductions) thankfully my Midwife feels the same way I do about it :)
Ciaodarlings
by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 2:30 PM
3 moms liked this
This.

Not to mention, inductions increase the chance of getting a c-section which, as we all know, equals more money for the doctor. Not ALL doctors are like that, but unfortunately a lot are.

Quoting lilmama8408:

Most doctors ofer inductions to fit their own needs and not the health of mom and baby.
orangeshirt
by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 2:46 PM
10 moms liked this
Hmm....babies don't just run out of room in utero, regardless of their mother's size.
orangeshirt
by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 2:52 PM
4 moms liked this
And just like with any profession, there are doctors who don't practice good medicine or evidence-based standards, who put their patients needs behind other priorities (their own schedule, fears of malpractice, rules at their current hospital, pharmaceutical companies' influence, etc.), who cut corners, and who don't follow current regulations or recommendations. A degree doesn't make someone flawless or omnipotent.

At the end of the day, I'm confident enough in my own research and extensive reading to know my own body, to advocate for my unborn child, and to see through false diagnoses used to support inductions and surgical births that aren't medically necessary.
purvislets
by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 2:54 PM

I'm against it for scheduling reasons, but I totally understand that there are some circumstances in which the risks for an induction do not outweigh the benefits.  It also depends on how the mother has progressed.  If you are not dilated or effaced, haven't reached your due date and are solely being induced for convenience, then I don't think it's a smart move.  

I was induced this past Friday, so I'm obviously not totally against it.  I was already 5cm, 90% effaced, and 4 days over my due date.  I chose to go ahead with the induction because my bishop score was high enough to give me a good chance at a successful induction and because of medical concerns on my part.  Add to that a history of fast labors and I felt more comfortable being induced at that point than waiting it out.  I needed to be sure I would be in the hospital when she was born.  I gave birth only 2 hours after the start of the induction to a 9lb 2oz baby girl.  Thankfully we were both healthy, but if I had waited to go into labor on my own I very well may have had her at home which I am medically uncomfortable with.

I think that as long as inductions are done for the right reasons then there isn't any problem.  But when you are being induced for the wrong reasons and not under the right circumstances then you are taking a big risk with your health and your baby's health.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers

heathermarie23
by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 2:56 PM
3 moms liked this

Doctors practice... which means they aren't always right.

ImNotKarl
by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 2:57 PM
2 moms liked this

If an induction happens for medical reasons, that's one thing. But an induction for convenience DOES statistically raise the rate of complications, c-sections, and trauma. I know a lot of people that had to be induced for the health of the baby, but I've done the research, and while I am not a doctor, and the internet does lie, numbers don't. Cold hard facts and research done by credible sources don't. I don't have a doctor for my pregnancy and birth, I have a midwife, because all the research I've done led me to that choice as the best one for my family.

What I don't understand is how anyone can trust someone in the medical field without wanting to be educated about the choices being made. You don't need a medical degree to ask for reasons and statistics, or to get a second opinion at the very least. Information is power.

tanper29
by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 3:00 PM
I think it has to do with how the doctor woud induce you. I know ppl who have been induced with drugs and their deivery went fine. No complications. My sil was induced 2x had to have a c-section. My doctor did what he called a natural.induction on me. He broke my water to bring on contractions. I had been stuck at 3cm for over a week and was already in my 41 week. I dont see anything wrong with being induced as long as the baby has been in the oven long enough.
JadeTigr7
by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 3:06 PM
11 moms liked this
Huh, I'm 5ft and about 115lbs normally.

3 years ago I gave birth to a 22 3/8" and 9lb 5oz baby. She didn't run out if room and I went into labor with her naturally. If I'd been seeing an OB (a surgeon btw) I probably would have been harassed about an induction. However I had a midwife who knows that lying on my back with my feet in stirrups is not the ideal way of birth, and since I was home when I birthed my child, wasn't even an option I birthed my baby just fine. No complications and no tears.

I'm tired of people defending the current model of maternity care when none of it is evidenced based.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)