Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Iv medications???!

Posted by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 10:26 AM
  • 37 Replies
What medicine did you get in your iv that helped you ?? this is my first baby don't really want the epidural because i already have back problems wouldn't want to make it worse please help !
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 10:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tanper29
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 10:34 AM
I had the epidural. I know my sister got demeral and my niece got morphine.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mrs.seri
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 10:35 AM
I had all 4 kids without the epidural. I had a shot of stadol with my last baby.
norahsmommy
by Silver Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 10:38 AM
In my experience they aren't worth it at all. Each shot is less effective. My second one might as well have been water. Whatever I had made me feel drunk and in pain instead of just in pain, then the next shot felt like nothing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JadeTigr7
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 10:40 AM

I had nubain with my 1st two.  It didn't help, in fact it made things worse for me.  I couldn't breathe and started hyperventalating both times.

I consented to the pain meds the first time, the 2nd time the nurse gave it to me without permission.

I can't have an epidural, because of back problems, and I would never do IV meds again.  However, I won't birth in a hospital either now, unless it was a medical emergency, so it's not an issue. 

Cuffd
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 4:20 PM
Did they help at all any ? please let me know.

Quoting tanper29:

I had the epidural. I know my sister got demeral and my niece got morphine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama2gg
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 4:22 PM

none

I took demerol and stadol , first did nothing the second I felt OUT OF CONTROL of myself my body and STILL was in pain NEVER EVER EVER again drug is for SATAN!!

Cuffd
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 4:22 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kierasmommy
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 4:44 PM
1 mom liked this
Aqua-dural :) Water birth was great for me!
aussiechic
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Stadol for pain and phenergan for nausea

ACsLady
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 5:03 PM

I've never had pain medication for my labors. Just about every woman I've heard talk about the IV meds though says they just felt high, loopy, sick, not all there, and things like that. They're mind altering drugs to distract you from the pain, not any kind of numbing agent. So, if you get them, just be prepared to be out of your mind and have your memory be sketchy at best. There could be other side effects that impact you physically (throwing up, shortness of breath, etc.). Of course, everyone is different, so I can't say how exactly they would affect you or even me for that matter.

I think you'd be better off taking classes for natural childbirth and learning to handle labor as it comes. Bradley classes are great for that. Hiring a doula would also be a good idea because she'll be able to help you moment to moment and give you suggestions based on how things are going at the time. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN