Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Breast Pump and insurance

Posted by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 12:23 PM
  • 7 Replies
I'm not sure where the best place to ask this will be so it will probably end up in several groups. I've heard of insurance companies paying for a breast pump. I am hoping I can find a way to get mine to pay for one too. My husband has called the insurance and was told to ask a home medical place for billing codes to see if anything is covered.... Doesn't sound promising.

Can anyone tell me what you went through to get a pump and maybe even who your insurance is? I have medical Mutual. Thanks !
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 12:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
aussiechic
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 12:26 PM

They should. I have BCBS and I called to ask.  THey will only pay for them if they are purchased from a specific company.  THey gave me the contact information and told me as long as i have a doctors note for the pump and a face sheet from the doc's office with my name, address and insurance information on it... and I send that info to one of the approved companies then yes it is covered.  That company will submit a claim to the insurance comapny.

Mychele
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 12:28 PM
I keep hearing blue cross blue shield pays for the pumps... Haven't heard too many other insurances paying for it. I really really hope this works.

Quoting aussiechic:

They should. I have BCBS and I called to ask.  THey will only pay for them if they are purchased from a specific company.  THey gave me the contact information and told me as long as i have a doctors note for the pump and a face sheet from the doc's office with my name, address and insurance information on it... and I send that info to one of the approved companies then yes it is covered.  That company will submit a claim to the insurance comapny.

aussiechic
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 12:29 PM

I hope yours does!!! How far along are you?

Quoting Mychele:

I keep hearing blue cross blue shield pays for the pumps... Haven't heard too many other insurances paying for it. I really really hope this works.

Quoting aussiechic:

Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Dec. 27, 2012 at 12:31 PM

I have BCBS and they don't cover breast pumps. At least my plan doesn't.

Mychele
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 12:36 PM
32 weeks tomorrow. I'm due Feb 22.

Quoting aussiechic:

I hope yours does!!! How far along are you?

Quoting Mychele:

Quoting aussiechic:

Plus-size-mommy
by Bronze Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 12:36 PM

I have medical through the state (Molina) and they pay breast pumps.

Mychele
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 12:38 PM
I have heard, and this may be a rumor, that there will be changes after the 1st of the year because of the new health care stuff. Meaning they may cover it in the year.

Quoting Pandapanda:

I have BCBS and they don't cover breast pumps. At least my plan doesn't.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)