Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

What's the most common medicine used in c-sections besides morphine?

Posted by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 1:29 AM
  • 31 Replies

I had morphine with my first c-section, but when I was given it, it felt like 500 pounds of bricks were on my chest and I was literally gasping for air for several minutes until I threw up. It happened a second time after the surgery so i said no more morphine.

My second c-section is in February, and my OB put a note in my chart that morphine is a no no for me.  I am just curious as to what's the next most commonly used drug.  I plan on asking specifically what will be used at my appointment next week.

by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 1:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MAXnBRYCESMomma
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 1:30 AM

The heavy feeling on your chest wasnt the morphine, it was the epidural. They usually use morphine or demerol as a secondary pain med.

~Annie~

PEEK05
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 1:31 AM

I didn't have an epidural and it happened again after the second dose after the surgery was already completed and the spinal had worn off.

Quoting MAXnBRYCESMomma:

The heavy feeling on your chest wasnt the morphine, it was the epidural. They usually use morphine or demerol as a secondary pain med.

Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Dec. 29, 2012 at 1:31 AM

You may need to be knocked out, as most pain relief medications are in the same category as morphine. Also, morphine is an opiate, like every other medication commonly used in pain relief. 

This is the most common ingredient list in epidurals and spinals:

.1 mg Fentanyl

1800 mg Clindamycin

1gm Erythromycin

1 mg Phytonadion

20 U Oxytocin

100 mg Diphenhydramine

30 mg of Nalbuphine (nubaine)

10 mg Morphine

1 gm Cefazolin

120 mg Ketorlac

1mg Ondansetron

2 mg of Midazolam

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
Rachelxbby
by Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 1:05 AM

I had staidall then when they realized I had to have a c-section I got a shot in the miggle of my back.. idk i was loopy as hell.. goodluck though

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
shortyali
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 10:04 PM
I had a spinal for my last 2. The first one I had an epidural because of labor and it failed so they gave me shots of morphine that didn't work either so the gave me general and knocked me out. The spinals, IMO, were a ton better.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MrsNewman
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 10:07 PM

I had a dumb nurse that over dosed me on the morphine after my second c-section. After that, they turned it off and just gave me vicodin. (sp) It will also depend on whether or not you plan to breastfeed. 

Larsbug
by Laura on Dec. 30, 2012 at 10:10 PM

with my first I was put under because my epi didn't take...the second was a spinal block...

ibuprofen after surgery for both was all I needed

pacificamom
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 10:22 PM

no idea

PEEK05
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 10:56 PM

I am allergic to all NSAIDs and aspirin.

Quoting Larsbug:

with my first I was put under because my epi didn't take...the second was a spinal block...

ibuprofen after surgery for both was all I needed

PEEK05
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 10:57 PM

I breastfeed right away. I had morphine and oxycodone with my second.

Quoting MrsNewman:

I had a dumb nurse that over dosed me on the morphine after my second c-section. After that, they turned it off and just gave me vicodin. (sp) It will also depend on whether or not you plan to breastfeed. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN