Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HELP Charley horse..i think! *kinda long*

Posted by   + Show Post

The night before last I had been asleep for maybe an hour or 2. I woke up and went to turn over to my other side and when I did I stretched my legs a little. When I did I got the WORST Charley horse I've ever had in my life, in my left leg from knee to ankle. I could feel the muscle move to the top of my leg where the bone is! This one lasted about 4 or 5 minutes and I was rubbing and massaging the whole time to try and stop it. After it finally did I went back to sleep and didn't think to much of it.

All day yesterday it's hurt so bad I haven't been able to walk on it without a very noticeable limp. So every chance I had I sat and would try and massage it away. I noticed last night as I was getting in the shower that said leg is now about twice the size of the other. And yes ladies I have been taking Tylenol for it lol (thats like the pregnancy cure-all) but it didn't help. I also made an OB/GYN appointment but they wont see me until the 9th. 

My sister had this thing with her legs when she was pregnant. I can't remember what she said it was called, but it was something to do with swelling and pain. She had to be placed on bedrest because it causes seizures and even death in some cases. So now naturally with me being the hypocondriac that i am I've convinced myself it's something worse and I am going to die. Silly yes I know!

Has this happened to any of you? I could really use some reassurance and help making it go away.How do you get rid of your Charley horses fast? And do you think the swelling is normal after one? Thanks in advance for your advice!

by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 8:43 AM
Replies (11-19):
nurseangel032
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 5:15 PM

I had a bad one in the beginning of my pregnancy which left my calf sore a couple days. I do not like the swelling though. I think you should get that checked out to rule out a blood clot.   Do not massage it until you know its not. ( If you rub your calf and there is a clot there, it can dislodge and travel to some place else like your lungs which can be very dangerous)

If it turns out it was a charley horse, for now when you stretch your legs at night, do not point your toes. Instead flex your foot inward ( toward your head) when you stretch.   If you forget and stretch with your toes pointed and feel a charley horse coming on, immediatly flex your foot inward with your toes pointed toward your head.  I can stop it before it gets bad. 

Mrs_Schuckers
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 9:04 PM

I've never heard of a Charlie Horse causing swelling. Doctor ASAP Missy! Don't freak...just see what the doctor says first. Take care of yourself!

Basherte
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Quoting mem82:

I would go to the er. It sounds like a blood clot.

I was told that it's only a blood clot if the area that hurts is also very warm to the touch.

I could be wrong as I was told this by an e.r. doctor.

kgmmw
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 9:38 PM
1 mom liked this
I used to get Charlie horses all the time only when I was pregnant. I would wake up crying and my husband would go straight to my leg to massage it bc he knew.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bebe_ju-rah
by Silver Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 9:40 PM
I've had that happen in my belly but not my leg. They suck! :(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
katielawlor
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:35 AM

me 2! I hope its just the charlie horse, but they also told me just to drink water and mention it at my next appointment if it still bothered me. And I to am having the worst insomnia of my life!nothing makes it go away

Quoting juniebug11:

Quoting katielawlor:

yes i did tell them all my symptoms and they didn't sound to concerned...lol this post was supposed to make my fears subside lol that kinda backfired! But thank you all for the advice! It's much appreciated

Me to!! I called my OB and she acted like it was no big deal, just drink some water. My leg was swollen too, and it had changed colors. I was so worried about a blood clot but didn't go in , because my doctor told me not too. 

newmom121812
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:47 AM
I had this happen while I was prego. I would sit up a so my foot was on the floor and massage it out. Then remembered not to strech while laying down
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
juniebug11
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 1:39 AM

my dr prescribed me ambein . It helps, sometimes 

Quoting katielawlor:

me 2! I hope its just the charlie horse, but they also told me just to drink water and mention it at my next appointment if it still bothered me. And I to am having the worst insomnia of my life!nothing makes it go away

Quoting juniebug11:

Quoting katielawlor:

yes i did tell them all my symptoms and they didn't sound to concerned...lol this post was supposed to make my fears subside lol that kinda backfired! But thank you all for the advice! It's much appreciated

Me to!! I called my OB and she acted like it was no big deal, just drink some water. My leg was swollen too, and it had changed colors. I was so worried about a blood clot but didn't go in , because my doctor told me not too. 

katielawlor
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Ok so when I woke up this morning the pain was worse, it is now going from my ankle to half way up my thigh. But the swelling is now gone.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured