Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Yep - going to panic

Posted by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:47 AM
  • 19 Replies

My mom is thinking about moving in less than two weeks out of state. I will have no one to be here for my husband and I three and a half year old son [or well, almost four when I give birth]. How do you go around finding someone trust worthy to watch an older child?

We are having a home birth but currently do not feel comfortable with our son there. We only have two people who we'd trust with our son but it also depends on their schedule.

Any good books for children about home birth?? Help.

Pregnancy Ticker

by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JadeTigr7
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:51 AM
I don't have any book suggestions but I watch births on YouTube with my kids. My sister will be here to sit with the kids who don't want to be in the room with me but otherwise all four of my children will be in the house with me.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
butterflyk1ssez
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:02 PM

I have no family members in my city at all. All of our family lives in Illinois, Florida and Texas. Texas isn't far away but my BIL and his girlfriend have demanding work schedules. I live in New Mexico so it would be like an 8 hour drive or a two hour flight and that would be extremely expensive.

We talk about where babies come from [daddy and mommy love], and talk about how his baby brother will have to come out of mommy's tummy.  We watched a birth photo slide one day and he was watching it with me but didn't seem too interested in it. I am hoping it will work out for the best.

Quoting JadeTigr7:

I don't have any book suggestions but I watch births on YouTube with my kids. My sister will be here to sit with the kids who don't want to be in the room with me but otherwise all four of my children will be in the house with me.

Pregnancy Ticker

JadeTigr7
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:32 PM
Do you have any friends at all who could come sit with him? My sister is coming in from another state. I don't live near family either.

butterflyk1ssez
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:57 PM

As of right now, we only have one person who could do it but she has three kids of her own. So, that really isn't 100% dependable.

Quoting JadeTigr7:

Do you have any friends at all who could come sit with him? My sister is coming in from another state. I don't live near family either.

Pregnancy Ticker

JadeTigr7
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 1:24 PM
That sucks. Hopefully you can find someone. :)

Quoting butterflyk1ssez:

As of right now, we only have one person who could do it but she has three kids of her own. So, that really isn't 100% dependable.

Quoting JadeTigr7:

Erica_Smerica
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Time to make some more friends?

We're super lucky that we have a lot of good friends that are willing and able to watch our son while I give birth. I understand what you mean with not having family near by though.

If you're actively involved in a church, asking around there might be a good option too.

mama2gg
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 4:19 PM
Find a 24 hour day care most cities have them
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
butterflyk1ssez
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 4:22 PM

I am looking into churches that fit what my family and I. It's very difficult. I have met VERY few people in six years living in Santa Fe that are actually truly good friends or people who stick around. The parents I have met I have nothing in common with..I am 25 and I am on my second child and married. The parents I am meeting here are older parents in their 40's having their first children. It's really depressing and hard on me. Santa Fe probably has less than 72,000 in the whole county and less than 10,000 probably in the metro. It's just kinda turned a good situation and wonderful thing into a somewhat depressing situation.

Quoting Erica_Smerica:

Time to make some more friends?

We're super lucky that we have a lot of good friends that are willing and able to watch our son while I give birth. I understand what you mean with not having family near by though.

If you're actively involved in a church, asking around there might be a good option too.

Pregnancy Ticker

doulala
by Emerald Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 4:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I have a lot of info saved I can share.

But do you have a birth doula?

butterflyk1ssez
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 4:24 PM

I don't think those exist in Santa Fe =/

Quoting mama2gg:

Find a 24 hour day care most cities have them

Pregnancy Ticker

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN