Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Hair Dye

Posted by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 2:50 PM
  • 23 Replies

Has anyone had their hair professionally dyed in the first trimester?

I have long red hair--and I'm growing in light brown and now white.  Cat hair white.  

I get it done every two months, and my last dye was in October.  Then I found out I was pregnant in early December.  I don't live in the same city as my stylist, and my next opportunity to get my hair dyed is in the middle of March.  

If I go that long, I'm gonna look like a calico candy cane.  I can otherwise get it done January 3.

My hairstylist assures me that he's done dye jobs for women in their first trimester for the past six years.  I was just gonna ask him to keep it off the scalp--basically leaving me with very short roots.  

I've got a call in to the doctor's office--but has anyone done this before?  I've already googled myself into oblivion, and It looks to me like there's no real evidence either way.

by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 2:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Dec. 29, 2012 at 2:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Don't do it during your first trimester.

Turtledoves
by Platinum Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 2:57 PM
You're supposed to wait until second trimester if you plan to do it during pregnancy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SkylarBeth
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 3:05 PM
1 mom liked this

hhhmmm thats interesting, my stylist would ABSOLUTELY NOT dye my hair in the first trimester. She gave me a great deal in the 2nd, I'm almost positive that your OB will say NO, that you are going to have to wait. I know this isn't what you want to hear but its whats best for baby. 

Rachelxbby
by Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 3:58 PM

its not about the chemicals on your head a its about the fumes and as long as its amonya free dye then you should be good..

NOW personally I haven't dyed my hair since June and found out I was pregnant in August. [got preggo in July] My hair is bleach blonde on top and jet black on the bottom with like 4 inch brown roots! I even got married yesterday and would not touch my hair up! It looks terrible but I'm willing to sacrifice that for my unborn child. :)

On the other hand my friend dyed her hair in her 3rd trimester a brownish color with amonya free dye and her baby was fine.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
sassysuie
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 4:05 PM

I would wait until the 2nd trimester.

fritz799
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 4:52 PM

I know quite a few folks who've done it, but I'm waiting to hear from my OB.  If he says "no," fine.  But this is a pretty big sacrifice with respect to my work, and I want to know that there's a good reason behind it and not just general pregnancy hysteria.  It's a crappy fact that companies don't test for pregnant women because the market just isn't there--hence the constant "don't do anything" advice.

With respect to the stylist, he owns a large salon in Beverly Hills.  I've been with him for years. While I wouldn't trust his medical advice, I do trust his experience and his fear of liability.  

Here are a couple of logical issues that I have:
1.  If it's fumes, why isn't OSHA warning pregnant stylists?  They're all over the place and they do perms and color.

Also, my salon isn't full of fumes.  I've never even seen them do a perm.

2.  If it's seepage into the skin, why can't you use a cap and leave a quarter inch at the roots?  

Makes no sense.  There has to be a way to reduce whatever risk these people are perceiving.  

mama2gg
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 5:04 PM
I don't do it at all but DEFF don't do it in the first tri
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama2gg
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 5:05 PM
1 mom liked this
Its also not proven it WONT do anything why in gods name risk it over HAIR

Quoting fritz799:

I know quite a few folks who've done it, but I'm waiting to hear from my OB.  If he says "no," fine.  But this is a pretty big sacrifice with respect to my work, and I want to know that there's a good reason behind it and not just general pregnancy hysteria.  It's a crappy fact that companies don't test for pregnant women because the market just isn't there--hence the constant "don't do anything" advice.

With respect to the stylist, he owns a large salon in Beverly Hills.  I've been with him for years. While I wouldn't trust his medical advice, I do trust his experience and his fear of liability.  

Here are a couple of logical issues that I have:
1.  If it's fumes, why isn't OSHA warning pregnant stylists?  They're all over the place and they do perms and color.

Also, my salon isn't full of fumes.  I've never even seen them do a perm.

2.  If it's seepage into the skin, why can't you use a cap and leave a quarter inch at the roots?  

Makes no sense.  There has to be a way to reduce whatever risk these people are perceiving.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brightstar28
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 5:09 PM

My friend, also my hairstylist REFUSED to do my hair in the first trimester.  I looked terrible because my entire head was bleached and I had about an inch and a half of growth at the roots.  Didn't matter.  I dealt with it.

lizmartinez
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 5:10 PM
1 mom liked this
Leave space between your scalp and the start of coloring and use ammonia free dye. Fumes is an issue but in a salon ventilation is good and you're not mixing it yourself.
I've been pregnant twice (second time now) and my dad's a physician-I've colored my hair with both pregnancies. You can try a natural dye even if it makes you more comfortable. I try to avoid it in the first trimester, but do what you can to keep the chemicals from your skin and from inhaling it and you'll be fine. We breathe in worse fumes driving down the high way. Lessen the frequency during pregnancy if possible.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)