Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Who else is Rh Negative?

Posted by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:58 AM
  • 27 Replies
I was with my first pregnancy, and got the Rhogam shot. They NEVER explained it, only that my blood was negative, hers was positive, so to keep them from reacting I had to get a shot. Well im reading about it now, and its actually really serious and can be very dangerous, especially in subsequent pregnancies when the antibodies grow stronger and stronger :/

Will baby of a negative / positive couple always be incompatible with the mothers blood? Will I have to get the shot earlier this time? I'm really worried now!:/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LTryon
by Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 11:06 AM
I'm rh-. My 1st and 3rd are also rh- so I didn't have to get the shot after they were born. My 2nd is rh+ though, so I had to get it when she was born. With each pregnancy I got there rhogam shot at about 28 weeks & they also gave me a card to carry in my wallet saying I'm Rh- in case I got in an accident or something and wasn't conscious enough to tell EMTs or ER doctors, because if you sustain significant trauma to your belly while pregnant you'll have to get the rhogam again.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MsGrayciesMommy
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 11:10 AM
You got it after they were born? With my daughter I had to get it at 28ish weeks but I dont think anything after birth.

Quoting LTryon:

I'm rh-. My 1st and 3rd are also rh- so I didn't have to get the shot after they were born. My 2nd is rh+ though, so I had to get it when she was born. With each pregnancy I got there rhogam shot at about 28 weeks & they also gave me a card to carry in my wallet saying I'm Rh- in case I got in an accident or something and wasn't conscious enough to tell EMTs or ER doctors, because if you sustain significant trauma to your belly while pregnant you'll have to get the rhogam again.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TwiPottermommy
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 11:15 AM

I am rh - and had to have it before I had my son and when they tested his blood and he was possitive I had to have it again.  If you are negitive you ALWAYS have to have it before...just in case....then if your child is possitive you will have to have it again.  If you baby comes out negative you do not have to do it again.  When they test your blood at the begining of a pregnancy they check to make sure that antibody is not present.  When you go to the doc after your blood work and they say your blood work looks good...that is part of it.  Nothing to worry about.  The docs know what they are doing!

MsGrayciesMommy
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 11:25 AM
I'm 9w5d. I only had my confirmation of pregnancy appointment and blood work done at my first appointment a few weeks ago, so next week I'll get my results at my appointment. I'm less freaked out now, from your reply, so thanks! Lol

Quoting TwiPottermommy:

I am rh - and had to have it before I had my son and when they tested his blood and he was possitive I had to have it again.  If you are negitive you ALWAYS have to have it before...just in case....then if your child is possitive you will have to have it again.  If you baby comes out negative you do not have to do it again.  When they test your blood at the begining of a pregnancy they check to make sure that antibody is not present.  When you go to the doc after your blood work and they say your blood work looks good...that is part of it.  Nothing to worry about.  The docs know what they are doing!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LTryon
by Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 11:27 AM
Is your dd Rh- too?

It's good to know your Rh factor, because being that you're Rh-, you're supposed to get it if you have a miscarriage as well since the baby may have been Rh+. The Rhogam shot stops you from producing antibodies against the baby's blood type if they're Rh+. If for some reason you didn't get the shot and the baby has Rh+ blood, and your blood somehow mixes with baby's (like during labor or something) the baby would be born with Rh incompatibility and his/her body would start attacking their own blood, and the baby would die without a complete blood transfusion.

It's very scary. :-/ When I was pregnant with my first 2, I didn't really know too much about it, because my OB was really good at playing down the seriousness of it. It wasn't until I was pregnant with my 3rd that I actually took it upon myself to research it a little more. I'm glad I did though. I learned a LOT.

Quoting MsGrayciesMommy:

You got it after they were born? With my daughter I had to get it at 28ish weeks but I dont think anything after birth.

Quoting LTryon:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TwiPottermommy
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Glad I could help!  I am sure if they didn't call you with bad news already everything will be fine!  If they find something wrong they will typically call you into the office about it.  I am 11w/3d with my second!  Congrats and don't worry so much!  It will just end up giving you bad dreams...trust me lol!

Quoting MsGrayciesMommy:

I'm 9w5d. I only had my confirmation of pregnancy appointment and blood work done at my first appointment a few weeks ago, so next week I'll get my results at my appointment. I'm less freaked out now, from your reply, so thanks! Lol

Quoting TwiPottermommy:

Turtledoves
by Platinum Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 11:39 AM

You'll need a shot in late second tri or early third tri. As long as you got the shot after your last birth (if your last baby was positive), you'll be fine for the pregnancy. My doctor didn't really say  much either (though I did ask him to confirm the information and he did) so I just had to do a lot of research last time. 

in lovebaby girlpuppy
Babywearing, co-sleeping, exclusively breastfeeding, AP, natural birthing, happily married SAH Mommy to Katherine Isabelle and baby #2 due July 21st, 2013!

bellaamore
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 12:40 PM

My daughter wasnegative rh like me. I didnt get the rhogam shot.

I wont get it this time either if baby is rh negative.

bellaamore
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 12:42 PM

You dont have to get it unless there is trauma while pregnant or if baby is rh pos when born.

There is only a 1% difference in anything if you get it at 28 weeks and you still get all the risks.

clz0213
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 1:27 PM

my husband and I are both rh- but the doctor insists on giving me the shot since I've yet to provide proof that DH is negative. I've had it at 6 weeks and 28 weeks. This is my first baby. It's just a precaution. They don't feel too good though lol. I never thought about the potential of the antibodies growing with each pregnancy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)