Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

To Breastfeed or not to breastfeed?

Posted by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 11:36 AM
  • 69 Replies
1 mom liked this

I had thought about pumping for my first son and ended up not doing anything and just formula feeding.  I am thinking again about breastfeeding for my second child that is on the way and still am having a hard time deciding.  I know how healthy it is for the baby and want the baby to have that healthy aspect...however I don't know how comfortable I am with the idea of breastfeeding.  Please don't bash....I don't think it is a bad thing AT ALL!  I look up to people who do it...I am just having a hard time wrapping my head around me doing it.  Has anyone else worried about it being to weird??

by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 11:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PEEK05
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 11:37 AM

What makes you uncomfortable about it? Maybe if you can say what makes it uncomfortable, we can help you. :)

PEEK05
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 11:38 AM
2 moms liked this

Oh and by the way, I come from a formula feeding family.  I used to think breastfeeding was really nasty and that there was no need for babies to be feeding from the breast.  That was until a semester in university that I took a childhood and culture class and learned how amazing breastfeeding is.  I was worried about it too but honestly, once you do it and get the hang of things, you will be wondering why you thought it was so weird.

TwiPottermommy
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Just having a baby on my boob every 2 hours!  I have always been a little backward about myself....really lol!

mrsniebo
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 11:43 AM
2 moms liked this

I think it's a little weird to have to make bottles in the middle of the night while half asleep when it's quicker just to bf. 

TwiPottermommy
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Well when I formula fed my son it was always read to feed.  I never ever used mixing power.  So all I had to do was pour a bottle and warm it up.

tanzi.farhan
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 11:44 AM

it doesn't seem backward from any aspect...infact being a mother and feeling the sweet emotions of motherhood have already convinced me to make everything possible for my baby's health

firsttimemom755
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Im going to be away at work multiple weeks in a row so im doing both. I am worried i wont know how to do it right but since its better for the baby im going to try. It does seem like a weird concept and maybe you can do both to easy yourself into it? Im pretty sure its something you just need to get use to with time.

PEEK05
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 11:51 AM
2 moms liked this

LOL well not to freak you out some more but in the beginning, it's pretty likely they will be on the boob a lot more often than that, especially during growth spurts.  I say give it a good shot, give it the full effort.  If it feels weird, distract yourself by watching a TV show or get on the computer and nurse your baby on a boppy or whatever.  As things get more 'normal' after bringing a new baby home, it won't feel nearly as weird. Think about how GREAT of a thing you are doing for your baby.  Don't decide against it before your baby is even here. You never know.  You might attach that baby and it might feel like the most natural thing to you. :) It did to me, despite having previous thoughts about it.

Quoting TwiPottermommy:

Just having a baby on my boob every 2 hours!  I have always been a little backward about myself....really lol!

jellybeanjean
by Bronze Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 11:56 AM

I didn't think it was weird as much as it was annoying. I hated taking my boob out all the time and having to sit and wait...That being said I did it and I'll do it again. This time around I plan on pumping too though, so if I wanna quit then I will have a good supply to use for a bit.

Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Dec. 31, 2012 at 12:02 PM
2 moms liked this

My son had a bad reaction to formula that ended up nearly hospitalizing him at 3 months old. (Staph and strep in his skin- bloody, pus filled blisters and weepy/slimy skin, open sores, eczema.)

Breastfeed no matter what it takes. I don't care what anyone says- it is never worth the risk. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)