Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Labored through contractions w/out pain meds??

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:42 AM
  • 61 Replies

I've been reading labor stories online and wondered...how many of you woman have labored through your contractions without pain meds? What was the labor like? Did you lie down, stand, walk, bend, squat? I want to go through labor for awhile before heading to the hospital and I want to try to labor without meds. I'm not sure if I can manage. I have a low pain tolerance and I'm a big baby. Please tell me about your experiences.

BabyFetus Ticker
 BabyFruit Ticker

by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
juniebug11
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:45 AM
I did for half of my labor & it was really hard . The pain was so bad, I swear I don't remember half of it. I just remember breaking the bed I was in & the staff had to come in and change my bed. I also remember breaking that pink tub in half . Then they were like all for calling the guy back in there to do my epidural.

But I know lots of woman on here did it all natural .
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JadeTigr7
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:47 AM
3 moms liked this

With my 1st two I had nubain, bullied into it the first time, and given without permission the 2nd.  It didn't help and just made everything hurt worse.

My 3rd I was induced but had nothing.  I labored sititng up in the bed and laying down in the bed, but I was not allowed to leave the bed.

My 4th was a homebirth.  No drugs of any kind.  I started out in the shower, moved to leaning on the bed, and my birth ball and then finally as active labor got going I got in the birth tub and used my husband to support me during contractions.  I started out pushing on all fours and finally end up semi-standing/squatting.

My best labor?  The last one.  Especially after getting in the tub.  The warm water was amazing at helping me breathe/moan through the pain.

mandy1017
by Bronze Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:48 AM
I went through my 2 labors completely med free! I was on pitocen to make contractions happen so they made me lay in bed the whole time... it sucked... with my 2nd they did let me up to stand in the shower for about 10 mins... standing up really made things take off.. I went from 4cm to 10 cm in about an hour and a half....
im not going to lie either, labor hurts like hell! I almost got an epi 2nd time around, but the thought of a needle in my spine wasn't too appealing so I fought the urge.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
newmom121812
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:49 AM
I was gonna so i didnt have to give birth on my back and my 3rd contraction in i decided on pain meds lol. Sorry no help.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
happysnappyJ
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:51 AM

I went through both my labors and deliveries without any pain medication. I have zero pain tolerance, and it hurt, but I was able to do it. My husband was my labor coach, and I had been very clear with my dr beforehand that I wanted to be mobile, choose my positions, walk, eat, and drink when and what I wanted during labor. I stayed home for several hours after labor started, and that worked out very well. I plan on doing the exact same thing for this pregnancy. 

greenmom530
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:53 AM
1 mom liked this

I have done 2 natural labors.... Water, whether it be a shower or a tub, was my best friend. The only time that I felt really out of controll was when my water broke. I paniced and freaked out a bit, but with my luck baby was born about 10 min after. 

newmom121812
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:56 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh but did go 6 hours without meds
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MyahsMom
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:57 AM
2 moms liked this
The two things that helped me the most were the bath tub and one of those little back massager thingys. I usually am in the tub as much as possible but when I'm not my husband massages my lower back as soon as a contraction comes on and it helped a TON. Also, I always make sure to only focus on one contraction at a time. Don't worry about that you can't possibly fathom going through another contraction or even many more after this one. You only need to concentrate on the one happening right now as if it's the only one you'll have.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama2gg
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:57 AM
2 moms liked this

I did 26 hours med free with DS, then got an epi after my labor stalled (was stupid and listened to the nurse that said epi will help dilation YEAH RIGHT haha) I wish I would have never , it stopped my labor I ended with a c-section.

I am a VBAC with this little girl and 100% natural :)

Labor HURTS I will not lie and even more so if you stay still and its HARD to move in labor but it helps in more ways then one.

Stay home as long as possible

walk

use hot showers and water

rice packs and massage help

learn to meditate and BREATH now don't think you can just wait till the pain is here and figure it out

REMEMBER labor and birth is ONLY once, the pain WILL stop

Everyone that labors naturally hit the "I CANT do this wall" because it hurts so bad but you CAN do it , women have done it for 10,000 years and will do it 10,000 more!

Emilytrademark
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 12:00 PM
2 moms liked this

I wouldn't do it without a doula.

BabyFruit Ticker
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)