Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

cloth diapers?

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:47 AM
  • 27 Replies

I would really like to entertain the idea of cloth diapering baby. I was looking at the gDiapers, but there is SO much that goes into one diaper....im confused. Are there any very simple, first time friendly diapers that don't require so much?

Also is there a good suggestion on how many to start off with?

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

BabyFetus Ticker

by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JadeTigr7
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:55 AM

For a newborn generally you need a lot.  I started out with AIO (all in ones) and branched out from there given my likes and what has worked for my kids.  

Pockets are fairly easy to use too, you just put the insert in to the diaper and you're good to go.  For my newborn I have a mixture of prefolds w/covers, fitteds w/covers, AIO's and pockets, totallling about 24.  That will get me through 1 1/2 days, maybe 2, if I'm lucky.  Usually it's good to have about 48 diapers total.

You'll also need a wet bag, or some sort of storage, and I personally perfer having specific cloth diaper friendly detergent, but you can use regular detergent (just no where near as much as you'd use on clothes).

I'm sure there's way more I could tell you, but hopefully someone else can explain....I have to go referee some kids. LOL

Emilytrademark
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:56 AM

I'm considering this myself. I know it would be much more economical in the long run, not to mention more environmentally friendly. I haven't really done the research on it yet, though. I did see a brand of cloth diapers on Shark Tank that looked really handy lol. Let me see if I can find them...

BabyFruit Ticker
First_One_8_18
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:58 AM
1 mom liked this
Bumgenius, hands down. cottonbabies.com is the maker and they have free shipping
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Emilytrademark
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:59 AM
1 mom liked this

http://shop.fuzzibunz.com/

BabyFruit Ticker
JadeTigr7
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 12:04 PM

I'm a fun of thirsties duos and fuzzi bunz.  I do have a couple of bum genius, and I don't dislike them, but I have more thirsties and fuzzi bunz then anything else.  

KittyTussand
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 12:07 PM

I hate G diapers!!!! My daughter has been in cloth for about 5 months maybe 6 iv lost count. and i hate it! But due to some ER bills i cant go back to disposibles yet. But i gave up on cloth for over night. She was waking up a lot at night because when she potties she FLOODS!!! i have so many pee spots on my couch from a leaking diaper.  the G diapers are the worst. Bumgenius is way better. I have some from home made moms...some owrk some dont.  trial and errori guess.

FrancineSmith
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 12:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Prefolds are easiest for me because they are versatile, cheap, and wash/dry very easily. But the ones you buy in BRU or other stores really suck for diapering. It's best to order online to get nice, soft, plush, absorbant prefolds. Here is my favorite site for them:

http://greenmountaindiapers.com/prefolds.htm

butterflyk1ssez
by Bronze Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 12:32 PM

flip system is really good and i cannot recommend gdiapers or fuzzibunz. Gdiaprs get sold so frequently because they suck,  and same with fuzzibunz (I had a really bad experienc with fuzzibunz). If you're looking for the EASIEST and not the cheapest way I'd say a good AIO like the bumgenius free time or grovia to get started out with and then pockets are super easy too. Don't get scared of the two part system pockets have (the insert and the waterproof cover that has a soft material inside like microfiber or fleece). DO NOT sell yourself to one brand but buy a few different brands.

My go to diapers are GroVia hybird (w/ cotton soaker) and their AIO, and my husband LOVES pockets. He says they are super easy and he doesn't think the GroVia all in ones are easy even though there is no stuffing. I also really like Kawaii Bamboo mom label which is also a pocket and then I prefer all bum genius brands (which includes flip). Freetimes rule.

And there are SO SO SO SO MANY different things to try out from cloth to hybird fitted, regular fitted, bamboo fitteds, prefolds, flats, covers, and all in ones and all in twos which is a hybird/or cloth option. Never settle for one method unless that has been your go to with other children.

cottonbabies, nickisdiapers.com, diaperjunction.com will be your websites. A lot of websites have a "try cloth" option where you rent the package and you find what works. Remember, newborn in cloth is much different than a 2 month old in cloth. So, if it works for newborn it may not work for an older baby.

Pregnancy Ticker

bellaamore
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Econobums and kawaii diapers are my favs. They are simple and very cheap.

NowImAMom...
by Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 12:38 PM
1 mom liked this
Cuties with cloth booties has some fantastic info, I would recommend joining that group.
G diapers aren't the easiest diaper. Personally, I love my alvababy pockets. Prefolds are easy and versatile. I don't have any other kinds at the moment. I definitely recommend cloth though (:
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)