Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Abnormal Pap test

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 7:48 PM
  • 8 Replies
Okay, so my Pap test came back abnormal. And I'm freaking out. The nurse who called me wouldn't tell me anything except that they will test it to see if its HPV. I'm 9 weeks pregnant. And I'm really scared now. How common are abnormal Pap tests? What's usually the cause? Is there alot of complications concerning the pregnancy when it comes to the abnormal result? PLEASE someone give me as much information as you can. Please, this is my first pregnancy. And also, I've looked up different things, and for a while now before I was pregnant, I've thought I've had bacterial vaginosis, kinda personal, but because I have a really foul smell down there. I told my mom but she had never made me an appt. please any information would help. Oh, and I've only been with one guy, the baby's father. But he's been with three before me.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 7:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Pandapanda
by Amber on Jan. 1, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Abnormal paps are common during pregnancy.

mrs.autry21
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:17 PM
Bump. Sorry Hun I've only had one abnormal for yeast infections.
stephwordelman1
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:18 PM

i going to pm you, i've been through that already, 

kelly617
by Gold Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:27 PM

COMMON!!!!
Don't stress hon...I had this happen to me when I got pregnant with my son.
My pap came back abnormal and I freaked out. I had a colposcopy done and the results came back VERY low  amounts of abnormal cells, non cancerous.
My doc said not to worry that 70% of women that get the result during pregnancy will get a completely clean bill of health at the 6wk pp visit. Apparently labor flushes EVERYTHING out of your cervix so it usually gets rid of any abnormal cells.

Unfortunately at my 6wk pp visit I still had an abnormal pap...non cancerous. Basically it means my doc is gonna keep an eye on it to make sure it never turns into cancer. He said its HPV which like 60% of women actually have (its NOT herpes....and there are no other symptoms other than a weird pap)

I don't recommend the colposcopy until after you have the baby for several reasons (i didn't know about until after) it is a little painful, it can cause the cervix to dilate in very rare cases and possible cause miscarriage and even if they DO find something...there is nothing they can do until after the baby is born
And after giving birth you're most likely to be 100% normal so the results are moot anyway

smccloud
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 12:26 AM

I had an abnormal pap! They will just retest you after you have baby! there really isnt much they can do while pregnant!! But FYI- Having sex 1-3 days before having a pap can cause abnormal cells to show in your cervix due to "trauma"

lovehimforever
by Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 12:28 AM
I don't know. I got the same call last week and go in next week. I've never had an abnormal pap.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
froggiebaby2010
by Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 12:33 AM

this is my first as well, when i had mine done it came back abnormal, im due in 8 weeks so i havent had a follow up yet, but i was told that alot of times early pregnancy can cuase the cells to be abnormal, the doc wasnt worried about it cuz he said he sees alot of of them come back abnormal early on and then in labor your body sheds the cells out with the baby and when they retest 6 weeks post partum they are normal.. if it makes you feel any better i have had a "perfect" pregnancy so far, not even a yeast infection till recently.. i wouldnt worry unless the doc seemed worried about it

.KFeatherable.
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 12:34 AM
With my first pregnancy, I had an abnormal pap. The doctors found that I had mild dysplasia.
There were no complications with it and it went away after baby was born.
With my last two pregnancies, I have had normal paps.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)