Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

About medically induced labor...

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:06 PM
  • 19 Replies
I know I had a good exerience with it when I had my first. I was 41weeks and my body wasn't cooperating. I was only dilated to 1centimeter, no matter what I tried NOTHING else was happening. I thought maybe this time, with my second, that my body would at least do most of the work but at my OB appointment yesterday, when doc checked my cervix he said it was totally closed. No changes at all. And at 39weeks 3days, I'd hoped to hear otherwise.(bummer..) so now, with my due date approaching on the 6th and my induction scheduled on the 11th, I'm hanging onto the hope that something will happen without the induction. I guess only time will tell, but it's discouraging to hear that nothing is happening. I almost feel like I'm less of a woman. Anyway.. guess I just wanted to share my troubles to get them off my chest.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
louzannalady
by Gold Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:15 PM
2 moms liked this

Using how dilated and effaced you are to determine when you will go into labor is like standing on your front porch right this moment, looking at that sky and using solely that information to determine what the temperature, to the exact degree will be the same hour and day next week. It is impossible. There is too much information missing. Labor is triggered when those little lungs secrete a chemical, telling your body to get the party started. Some women walk around at a three for two months. Some women are locked up tighter than Fort Knox and have their baby in less than 24 hours. This is one of MANY, MANY reasons to decline vaginal exams! *hug* If you leave your body alone, you can and will go into labor. It is safe to go to 43 weeks, per ACOG guidelines, while being monitored regularly with non-stress tests! HERE is additional information on post-dates for your consideration. Remember, 40 weeks is just an estimate- not an expiration date!

kcangel63
by Gold Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:21 PM
1 mom liked this
You don't have to schedule an induction if you don't want.

I'll be 42 weeks on Thursday. Baby is still hanging in there. LOL

Some just take longer than others.
Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:24 PM
1 mom liked this

YOur body wasn't "cooperating" with your DOCTOR's schedule because it's not your doctor's body. 

You WILL dilate and efface when it's actually time. 

Larsbug
by Laura on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:24 PM

welcome to the group!

doulala
by Emerald Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:26 PM

Why did you get induced early before?    And why schedule an induction for the future?
  Are you dealing with health issues?

Terpsichore
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:29 PM

LOL, an expiration date. Anything prior to 42 weeks is "on time" as far as my own babies go. That's not to say I don't get totally sick of being pregnant.

nikkifam5
by Silver Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:32 PM
Honey it means nothing lol. I've been 3cm and 80% since 36 weeks. I'm still very much pregnant at 38 weeks 4 days :)
mizzy13
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:38 PM
I did it before because my doctor advised it, and I trusted her judgment. This time around, I've had a very, very strenuous pregnancy and I've been sick almost the whole time. As much as I'd like to have that 'i can do this' attitude, I just can't hang in there for too much longer. Still have my fingers crossed that it will happen before my induction date, but if not- I'll be induced. It's just my personal choice. BUT as I said before, I do hope it happens on it's own before then.

Quoting doulala:

Why did you get induced early before?    And why schedule an induction for the future?

doulala
by Emerald Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:48 PM

What kinds of illness are you dealing with, are you able to improve your health?  

It sounds like that history may have affected your confidence.    Having an elective induction and the risks-complications that can come with that can give moms a negative feeling.     It is important to appreciate that what you went through wasn't normal or necessary; you will likely do so much better with a normal experience.    When you choose what *you* want --and based off of needs, you can have a safer & more positive experience.

Having the weight of an induction date is an intervention in itself, safest to avoid unnecessary interventions.      If you ever need to intervene at any time then you have the option to consent.     Prior to that there are risks worth considering/avoiding.

Quoting mizzy13:

I did it before because my doctor advised it, and I trusted her judgment. This time around, I've had a very, very strenuous pregnancy and I've been sick almost the whole time. As much as I'd like to have that 'i can do this' attitude, I just can't hang in there for too much longer. Still have my fingers crossed that it will happen before my induction date, but if not- I'll be induced. It's just my personal choice. BUT as I said before, I do hope it happens on it's own before then.

Quoting doulala:

Just as a woman’s heart knows,

How and when to pump,

Her lungs to inhale,

And her hand to pull back from fire,

So she knows when and how to give birth.

- Virginia Di

ICAN

mizzy13
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 9:02 PM
I've had trouble gaining weight, my iron levels won't seem to go up and I recently found out that I may have lupus. Maybe my confidence is shaken, my head is just spinning over the whole thing. Especially with a two year old to care for, I admit I have begun to feel somewhat defeated by my pregnancy.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured