Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can you be induced if your trying for a VBAC?

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 9:10 PM
  • 17 Replies

My cousin is having her 2nd child, her first was butt first so they did a c-section, she is pregnant and trying for a vbac her due date is the 5th and her doctor said that she would induce her Friday... 

I thought you couldn't be induced if you were trying for a VBAC, but I guess I was wrong?

by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 9:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bebe_ju-rah
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 9:11 PM
Its very dangerous. I've never heard of a dr who would do it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MrsNewman
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Its not recommend. I would not do it if I were her. Let labor come on naturally or go for the c-section.

FrancineSmith
by Bronze Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 9:12 PM

My MW, the OB that works with her, and all the research I've done advise against it. 

doulala
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 9:13 PM

You can, but it adds additional risks.

Why does she want to induce?

PEEK05
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 9:14 PM

I would think that might increase the risk of any kind of rupturing or something since the induction meds would speed it up and become more intense.  I don't think I would feel comfortable with that, but I am not very knowledgeable about this, sorry. :(

JadeTigr7
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 9:31 PM

That's exactly why it's not advisable it raises the risk of rupturing.

If I were her I'd skip the induction. 

Quoting PEEK05:

I would think that might increase the risk of any kind of rupturing or something since the induction meds would speed it up and become more intense.  I don't think I would feel comfortable with that, but I am not very knowledgeable about this, sorry. :(

klamomma2
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 9:32 PM

She says she's miserable and can't handle it.  She's extremely whiney pregnant person (I say that the nicest way possible).  If I was her I wouldn't do it, but she wont listen to anyone else.

Quoting doulala:

You can, but it adds additional risks.

Why does she want to induce?

Cynthje
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 9:34 PM
1 mom liked this

In my opinion thats a very irresponsible dr, it raises the chances of rupture and induction raises the chances of a c-section to start with. 

:( So no medical reasons

anxiousschk
by Silver Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Yes, you can be induced as a VBAC.  It does raise the risks.  They don't like using Pitocin on VBACs.  

doulala
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Why not work on becoming more comfortable?

You might ask her if this is with Informed Consent.    Perhaps she doesn't know how risky this is for convenience.  

Quoting klamomma2:

She says she's miserable and can't handle it.  She's extremely whiney pregnant person (I say that the nicest way possible).  If I was her I wouldn't do it, but she wont listen to anyone else.

Quoting doulala:
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)