Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Get Ready for Baby Day 1: Baby Furniture

Posted by   + Show Post

baby gift

Today's challenge is selecting the baby furniture.

Baby furniture is often one of the most expensive baby items you'll end up buying but nowadays, the pieces you buy last for years to come. 

Some common baby furniture pieces purchased are the crib, a dresser and changing table. Cribs are often convertible into toddler beds and later can be used for foot and headboards for a twin size bed.

Looking for just the perfect piece of furniture can be exciting and fun and in the end very rewarding.

What pieces of furniture are you planning to purchase? If you've already had your baby or have already selected the furniture, how did you decide what to buy? Did you put the furniture on your baby registry or did you purchase it yourself?

If you haven't signed up for the Get Ready for Baby Challenge yet, you can do so here

by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:28 PM
Replies (11-20):
TwiPottermommy
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:57 PM
I will probably buy mine from Walmart because we can't afford to get anything spectacular! They do have very nice sets though and none the less I am excited!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
katie11908
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Well we have a crib from our previous child and it was fun shopping for it! My husband and I both love dark wood so we got a nice dark expresso color! We do still need to get a dresser/hutch to match it though :) Oh and we bought it ourselves...

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
ballerina.2006
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:58 PM
We decided on the bare basics with our first and have stuck with those items since. We knew we wouldn't need all the fancy furniture pieces and we didn't have the room.
mama2gg
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:59 PM

We have her bed , which is a pack and play because she will never be in it we side sleep..

We have her swing for her room

A big chair for our room to relax and lay with her

We have her storage containers for her clothes up and clothes washed and done as well.

My In-Laws bought everything we wanted for her room :))

kLynch315
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:59 PM

I have a convertible crib. Haven't bought a full size dresser yet, but will get one soon. I will not be buying a changing table. 

SuperMommy8908

We put furniture on our registery but because of how expensive they can get we arent depending on others to buy it, we just got a crib, my aunt-in-law gave us the money for it,  i still havea dresser/changing table from our first DD. What i really want this time around is aquality rocking reclining chair for the nursery, it would have helped out so much last time. Also the mattress was from DD as well, i wanted to really keep a hold of it, it was a splurg because it vibrates!

sweetiepye2004

We are actually borrowing our crib from my SIL.   I will be checking Craigslist for a dresser. 

SuperHumanC
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 1:01 PM

I've been eyeing this convertible crib set I think by Graco that's $150 at Wal-Mart. It ends up being a full size bed at the end. I think it's a fabulous deal. Everything else though we're getting used. (I also have several things from my when my son was born a decade ago!) I wouldn't ask anyone else to buy the big things for us, I don't think it's right. So, we'll find a way to make it work. Plus, babies grow so fast, I'm not spending much on "new" clothing when thrift stores (my favorite is "Once Upon a Child") have gently used onesies for $1 that are almost always name brand (not that it matters to me either way) AND they have reward perks for buying so much, special deals, etc. I LOVE IT :)

Peytonsmommy310
I'm reusing Ds crib! I'm not sure ill get a changing table. I used to lay my son on the couch ill probably due that again! I'll probably get new bedding for the crib and a mattress
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jessymoka
The only item of furniture we are purchasing for baby (and already have purchased it) is a dresser.
We needed the dresser because we don't have any free dresser space as this is baby #4.
We purchased it ourselves, I actually found a vintage dresser cabinet combo that matches our furniture perfectly.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN