Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Get Ready for Baby Day 2: Baby Gear

Posted by   + Show Post

Today's challenge is purchasing baby gear.

There is so much baby gear out there, it can become overwhleming just thinking about it. It's hard to know what you should or shouldn't purchase or what to put on your gift registery. 

Baby gear includes car seats, bouncers, high chairs, walkers, swings, carriers, strollers. You need to decide what brand and style you want of each of those.

Do you want a convertible car seat, an infant car seat or a travel system with car seat and stoller together? Do you want wooden high chair, a plastic high chair or one that you use on a chair? Do you really need a swing or walker? What kind of carrier do you want? What is the best for your little one?

Take some time to visit several different stores and 'test' out their choices before making a decision. Do some online research, including searching the recent recalls. Ask your friends and family for recommendations. Ask for recommendations here in the Pregnancy group or on the Babies group.

What kind of baby gear are you buying? How will you decide what is right for you and your baby? Do you put these items on a baby registery and hope someone else purchases them? If you've already had your baby, what baby gear did you chose to buy?

If you missed yesterday's activity, you can find it hereIf you haven't signed up for the Get Ready for Baby Challenge yet, you can do so here.

by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:02 AM
Replies (31-40):
mrs.seri
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:36 AM

We have a travel system with a jogger & a bouncer. We need to get a swing and high chair still:)

BabyFruit Ticker

AmberMerrell
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:36 AM
At first we will be buying just an infant carseat with base & a stroller separately ( unless something changes ). I will be getting a swing just not sure of the brand. For the highchair & bouncers I will be waiting a few months. Also I can't imagine putting the more expensive stuff like this on a baby registry so we will be purchasing it ourselves.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrssummerlin
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:36 AM
I want to get a convertible carseat and a double stroller. I also want a bassinet right now and get the crib around 2-3 months.

We'll be getting a swing more breast pump bottles and storage bags, a baby bullet for making our own baby food, a new bouncer chair, and reusing our on the chair high chair that we had with our DD.

I will be putting WVERYTHING on a registry, but that is to keep what we want straight so we can get it when we can afford it, since we're on a budget. If people are interested in buying off of it they can, but I'm not worried about it. DH and I have never cared about gifts and we enjoy knowing that we got the stuff ourselves. :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lillucky8
by Ruby Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:37 AM
I put everything on our registry so people could help us, or if not, then i got a 10% off coupon to help the price. We decided on an infant seat and stroller combo. Then when that was outgrown they went into convertible seats
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mzwest83
by Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:38 AM

I think I am getting a convertible car seat. I plan on using my moby wrap alot again so I really dont need a newborn carrier attach, plus it will save on money down the road. High chair I have a wooden one I saved from when my oldest ( now14) had. Personally I don't want to by a lot of baby stuff. Clothes, diapers, a few toys and maybe a swing. I found I just don't use them so its a waste of space and money for use. 

QsMomma11
by Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:39 AM
We want to get a double stroller, since our daughter will still be under 3. We also plan on buying the convertible carseat early too. We will not be putting any stroller or carseat on the registry. I would also like to get a new baby carrier, so I can babywear.
TNmommaof1
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:40 AM
I am getting a travel system, pack n play, swing. Not really thinking about a walker or high chair at the moment.
cemcnair
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:41 AM
I have all the gear I need until he outgrows the infant seat. Then I'll get a new convertible for him. Don't know which yet-carseats stress me out!
jeepygirl
by Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:42 AM

I'm not really sure what kind of car seat I'll be getting. I bought my stroller already as I found an awesome deal on one on Craigslist. $300 for a $700 retail stroller...yes please! Still need a car seat but my parents are buying that for me, not sure what kind though. I don't really have a preference for any particular brand. I was also lucky enough to snag a Peg Perego high chair with 2 custom covers for $50 at a consignment sale and my parents got a swing for me at a garage sale. I'm really kind of eh on a Pack n Play. I think they're kind of superfluous and I don't plan on buying one. If someone buys one off my registry, fine, but I'm not spending my own money on it. We've also chosen to avoid walkers for various reasons, one being that there's simply not enough room in the house for one.

.KFeatherable.
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:42 AM
We had an infant car seat from our previous boys, so we will not need to buy that. I just bought a little blue bouncer and a fisher-price rainforest cradle swing for $40 all together, from my local yard sale Facebook group.
I really haven't been looking for a stroller because we still have one that ds#2 uses. I don't feel we will be taking an outing that will require baby to be in a stroller. At least not yet!
We still have a great high chair, but will not need it until baby starts solids.
I put most of those items on the baby registry, just to remind myself all of ones that I wanted to get. I don't care if I have different brands or different colors, I just want to be sure that I have everything that I think I will need to soothe baby
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)