Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

FREE BREAST PUMP THROUGH INSURANCE

Posted by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 4:56 PM
  • 14 Replies

Ok I just found out that insurance now covers breast pumps and all parts to go with it. It is true and it covers the Medela pump that is 300.00 you may want to check this out.  My insurance is Aetna and it covers them too.  Its part of new legislation inacted in 2010

by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 4:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kris0921
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 4:58 PM
I wonder if I can get one (if mine covered it), I was covered when my dd was born, but took myself off when we renewed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
justmommy09
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 5:00 PM
How do I find out?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lilmama8408
by Silver Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 5:01 PM
Mine doesn't cover unless you need to pump for medical reasons.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ctaylor1211
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 5:04 PM

https://yummymummystore.com/insurance.html?dir=desc&order=name

go to the above website and then if it doesn't work by ordering online you can call them and they should be able to tell you.   Also your insurance can tell you if you call them.

anxiousschk
by Silver Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Mine is Aetna and according to the website (Aetna's) it doesn't automatically cover breast pumps.  

Aetna does not cover breast pump purchase under standard Aetna benefit plans that are not currently subject to Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) requirements for coverage of breast pumps. Non-reusable manual or electric breast pumps that are available commercially are not considered by Aetna to fall within the standard contractual definition of durable medical equipment in that they are normally of use in the absence of illness or injury.

JadeTigr7
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Tricare is excempt. 

ctaylor1211
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 5:23 PM

well that is discouraging...i just read all that info on how its part of some new act Obama passed and it is covered and i put all my info in the website and it said i needed to call them (i'm only 6weeks along so its too early to order) but it says aetna authorized pumps at the top.  Oh well i'll call my insurance when i get home and see cause i know i have a really good Aetna plan compared to my last plan withAetna and i'll let you know what they say but in the act it doesn't say it has to be medically necessary so I will ask the attorney i work for to review it as well

ctaylor1211
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 5:27 PM
Ok here is the article I read about it on the Bump Breast pumps and other breastfeeding supplies can get pricey, but (sigh of relief, nursing mama) know that now health insurance plans will cover the cost, due to The Affordable Care Act, the health insurance reform legislation passed by Congress and signed into law by President Obama in 2010. It went into effect August 1, 2012. The Act includes new rules that expand access to preventative care, and that includes helping pregnant women and new moms pay for lactation support and counseling and breastfeeding equipment. The key to getting your breastfeeding supplies covered will be finding out which companies your insurance carrier consider an “in-network provider” and buying insurance-eligible products only through them. For example, our friends at Yummy Mummy, a store in New York City and website, recently announced they’re now an Aetna breast pump provider, meaning the large majority of moms with Aetna can get a breast pump or supplies from Yummy Mummy at no out-of-pocket cost, with no co-pay, coinsurance or deductible — and they offer free shipping! (See their list of eligible products here. Don’t you love all those zeros?) If you want to know what providers your insurance carrier works with and which supplies it covers, look on your carrier’s website or give them a call! How much money would you say you’ve spent on breastfeeding supplies? Will you go through insurance to buy them?
ctaylor1211
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 5:47 PM

According to Aetna they cover the breast pump fully if you have womens preventative coverage and you get a big discount to buy your pump  if you dont have that coverage

Kennadismom
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:11 PM
I'm 25 weeks is it too early to make those calls? I'm going to call the number on my ins card on Monday and ask if they cover it! Not to sound stupid but with dd I did not bf at all....didn't even try but this time I want to try so when you say "breastfeeding accessories" what does that mean?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)