Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Ummm...what??? C-section?

Posted by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 6:42 PM
  • 44 Replies

So....I have had 2 vaginal births. The first with epi, and the second natural. I planned on this one being natural and going a step further giving birth on 4's or squatting.

At my last OB appt the dr simply told me that the placenta was sitting on top of my cervix and that they would check it again at 32 week. Im 21 weeks....Ive thought nothing of it. Now, I just googled. The dr mentioned nothing of what happens if it doesnt move up. Everything I see says mandatory c-section. I am 100% AGAINST c-sections.

Has anyone ever dealt with this? If the placenta doesnt move back do I have to have a c-section?

by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 6:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MiniMax
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 6:43 PM

I really don't know....
BUMP!

CafeMom Tickers
xredstarsx
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 6:44 PM
As far as I know you have to because the placenta can't come out before the baby. If it did, the baby would suffocate.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LaughingTattoo
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Lord, now Im worried. This is honestly one of my worst nightmares

Quoting xredstarsx:

As far as I know you have to because the placenta can't come out before the baby. If it did, the baby would suffocate.

unspecified42
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 6:47 PM
Yes, if you have previa you need a section. End of story.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jess21608
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 6:47 PM

My friend is on her second pregnancy..she didnt progress with her frist so she had a c section.. she will be having another c section with this baby but her placenta is almost covering her cervix..she has to get a few ultrasounds to see how its looking but if it doesnt move they will do a c section earlier..you dont want to go into labor its very dangerous actually. I hope yours moves so you can have the experience you want but I believe if it doesnt you will get an automatic c section.

Autumn19
by Ruby Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 6:47 PM
im sure it will be fine they said the same to sil. When baby grows the placenta moves :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EmmaZate
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 6:48 PM
A csection is required when you have placenta previa because if the placenta comes out first you will have a stillbirth. I'm pretty sure you would rather have a csection than let something happen to the precious one! There is a good chance it will move, so don't worry too much. That might be why they didn't being it up, they don't decide these things for sure until 36 weeks. As your uterus gets bigger there is room for it to get out of the way
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LaughingTattoo
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Okay...now my next question is...WTF?? Ive never had this with my other pregs....what causes this???

Its more of a rant than a question.... Im just mad now lol

toopicky429
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 6:57 PM
This. With my first child my placenta was almost completely covering my cervix at 18 weeks, and by my 36 week US it had moved. Good luck!

Quoting EmmaZate:

A csection is required when you have placenta previa because if the placenta comes out first you will have a stillbirth. I'm pretty sure you would rather have a csection than let something happen to the precious one! There is a good chance it will move, so don't worry too much. That might be why they didn't being it up, they don't decide these things for sure until 36 weeks. As your uterus gets bigger there is room for it to get out of the way
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JadeTigr7
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Try not to stress.  

One of my friends had this twice, and she's had two vaginal births because the placenta moved by 36 weeks.

However, if it doesn't move then yes, you'll have to have a c-section. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN