Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Is this legal?

Posted by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:11 PM
  • 12 Replies
I am 27 weeks pregnant and I started a new job today. I told the person who hired me that I was pregnant and he said that it wasn't a problem. Today, when I went in for my first shift and filled out all the paperwork they told me that their policy is all new hires have to make it 90 days with no absences or tardies or they're automatically fired. I told them that I'm pregnant and have a doctor's appointment next week and then another one in four weeks and they told me that my only option was to switch to working nights (which is part time. I was hired for a full time position) or they would have to fire me. Is this legal?

Oh and I worked an 8 hour shift today and then they told all of the new hires that we weren't going to be paid for today's work.

They told me when I interviewed that they were a college matching company who talked to people interested in going back to school and matched them with universities. It's actually a straight up telemarketing company. I spent all day calling 80 year old people who didn't sign up for anything and had no interest in going to college. I am NOT a salesperson and I feel really bad harrassing these elderly people.

I would love to just not go back but we just moved to this town and my husband doesn't have a job yet (he has an interview tomorrow morning) so this would be our only source of income right now. It's only $8 an hour.

What should I do?
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hthrlcl
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:16 PM
well they have to pay you for the 8 hours that you worked, if they dont, then that is illegal....bump for the rest
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RaLeighsMommy11
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:18 PM
A lot of companies have the 90 day rule where you can't miss but not sure about the other
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Turtledoves
by Platinum Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:23 PM
Yes, the 90 day rule applies to everyone, so it's not pregnancy discrimination. There's a lot of jobs that do that.

You must be paid for the work you've done though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
toopicky429
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:23 PM
The hospital I work for is that way. I'm pretty sure it's legal. If they like you though, they will keep you anyway.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Cannabisaurus
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:28 PM
I just don't know why the person who hired me didn't mention it. I'm not looking for part time work and there were two weeks between the time I got hired and my start date. I could have spent that time looking for a different job.
Devious103102
by Ruby Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Doesn't sound legit at all. I really don't know what to do other than maybe talking to someone at the BBB (Better business bureau) and see if it is legit or not. 

austinsmama1106
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:31 PM
See if u can change your Dr appt to the same time as your lunch.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Cannabisaurus
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:43 PM
My doctor is an hour away. And I only have a 45 minute lunch break.
Larsbug
by Laura on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:43 PM

is your state an at will state? they HAVE to pay you for the hours worked today

LittleBirdFly
by Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:53 PM

most places have the 90 days period, within those days they can let you go without any major reason.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)