Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Fisher Price Rock and Play Sleeper Recall

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 12:07 PM
  • 88 Replies

linky

Fisher-Price Rock 'n Play Sleeper Recalled: What You Need to Know

Posted by Jeanne Sager
on January 8, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Fisher-Price Newborn Rock 'n Play Sleeper recallHere's betting the last thing you want to think about as you lay your baby down to sleep at night is a mold situation in the nursery. Unfortunately that's the reality for some 800,000 parents affected by a Fisher-Price infant sleeper recall right now! The company is recalling its Fisher-Price Newborn Rock ’n Play Sleepers because the fungus has been cropping up right where babies nap!

Feeling like you need to rush the baby into a bath after reading that? Hold up! We've got everything you need to know about this recall right here.

1. Affected sleepers are designed for babies up to 25 pounds. They have been sold at stores nationwide and online since September 2009, with prices ranging between $50 and $85.

2. The mold is not present on a brand new out-of-the package Rock 'n Play Sleeper. Instead, it develops between the removable seat cushion and the hard plastic frame of the sleeper when it remains wet or when the sleeper is infrequently cleaned.

3. Mold has been reported by 600 families, and 16 infants have been treated for respiratory issues, coughs, and hives after using the sleepers.

4. To see if your sleeper is infected, separate the cushion from the frame and look for dark brown, gray, or black spots.

5. If there is mold present, Fisher-Price has thorough cleaning instructions that include the use of bleach. There are also instructions for owners of sleepers that don't show any mold at the moment -- so you can prevent this happening to you.

6. Concerned the mold is too much and unsafe for your baby? Call Fisher-Price at 800-432-5437 Monday through Friday between the hours of 9 a.m. and 6 p.m. Eastern Time to talk to a customer service representative.

Have you encountered a mold problem in your baby's sleeping area?

by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 12:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Jan. 8, 2013 at 12:09 PM
3 moms liked this

People put together baby items without drying them first?

mem82
by Ruby Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 12:11 PM

I think they mean when the baby wets through or you spill something on it? And then don't dry it after that?

Quoting Pandapanda:

Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Jan. 8, 2013 at 12:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Gotcha!

Quoting mem82:

I think they mean when the baby wets through or you spill something on it? And then don't dry it after that?

Quoting Pandapanda:

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Heather2001
by Heather on Jan. 8, 2013 at 12:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Um, ew.  =\

mem82
by Ruby Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 12:15 PM

I concur!

Quoting Heather2001:

Um, ew.  =\

Larsbug
by Laura on Jan. 8, 2013 at 12:22 PM

gross!

Turtledoves
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 12:46 PM
Yikes! I know lots of people who love them. I got one for my baby shower but ended up returning it as baby sleeps with me or in the sidecarred crib.

I'd think though that most swings or anything would grow mold if left wet from spillage or soiling.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katie11908
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 1:16 PM
21 moms liked this

You would think if baby pee'd, pooped, spit up or something was spilled on it parents would have the common sense to wash the pad and wipe down the rest of it occasionally. Geez! There are always such stupid recall's simply due to things that you would think would be common sense to parents. Such as the bumbo....

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
NikkiL
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 1:31 PM
3 moms liked this

This seems more the fault of the parents, and not really the sleeper. Clean the cusion every once and a while. Gross. 

LoriAnn87
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 3:52 PM
4 moms liked this

I just bought one for my son to sleep in when he arrives in March and I'm not return mine because this recall is stuipd and anything you use for your child should be wash before and after they use it so you can kill any germs that maybe on that item. Some parent's don't have common sense to clean things off and feel the need to have something recalled when it should not be.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN