Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

refusing an ultrasound. bad idea or is it ok?

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 2:14 PM
  • 95 Replies
So I had an ultrasound at 7 weeks and ofcourse the baby was so tiny and not developed but this ultrasound was to determine how far along I was. Then I had another ultrasound at 21 weeks and they told me I was having a girl. Nothing.g else was said. They gave me an appointment for another ultrasound which would be this Friday when I am 26weeks. I do not want another ultrasound though. I was disappointed with my second ultrasound because the tech didn't even tell me how the baby was doing. I kept asking "what are we looking at?" And she would respond a hand or the head or something but she seemed annoyed by my asking. I thought it was fair for me to ask because obviously I wanted to know and she was so quiet.then because we the baby was giving us her back, the tech had me turn to my side and the other side and after a while of trying and the baby not wanting to face us, she began to poke my belly in a kinda rough way. She began to push at my belly and it started to get painful. I am no medical professional but I don't think such force was necessary I mean the baby still decided to give us her back so why keep pushing at it? Anyways I was just so discouraged with everything and since I am not at high risk, I am seeing my doctor regularly and he said everything is going well with my pregnancy, blood pressure is normal, weight gain is normal, and no complications so far whatsoever I really don't want another ultrasound and I'm about to call and cancel. What do you think? Is it a bad idea to cancel? I really don't see the need for another ultrasound until maybe when I am more far along.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 2:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RaLeighsMommy11
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 2:18 PM
3 moms liked this
If all she could see was baby's back they may be wanting you back to check the babies heart and all that stuff that they didn't get to measure so if it were me I would probably go but it's completely up to you. It would have bothered me if my tech had of acted that way as well you should have brought it up to your OB
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CrunchyBran
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 2:18 PM
1 mom liked this

It's perfectly OK to refuse ANY medical procedure.  I will not be having any ultrasounds this pregnancy unless there is a medical need or I change my mind and have the 20 week scan.  Ultrasounds are way overused.  ACOG even says they are for medical use only.

Duquesne
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 2:19 PM
2 moms liked this
I skip all unnecessary procedures:)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
x_Starr_x
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 2:21 PM
2 moms liked this
go but ask for a diff tech
sweetieiv
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 2:22 PM
She did tell me the heart rate was good and strong. I know this doesn't mean she got to measure the heart but the way I see it is if it sounds good then it must be good. But I know that's just my theory so I can be very wrong.

Quoting RaLeighsMommy11:

If all she could see was baby's back they may be wanting you back to check the babies heart and all that stuff that they didn't get to measure so if it were me I would probably go but it's completely up to you. It would have bothered me if my tech had of acted that way as well you should have brought it up to your OB

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lifeforchrist
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 2:22 PM
1 mom liked this

why did they do a 7wk ultrasound? They seem a little too ultrasound happy for my liking. I would refuse anymore. Ultrasound is untested technology, and while i don't think getting one ultrasound to find gender is all that bad, i would caustion against frequent ultrasounds. Especially late term ones. Theres no reason for another one. I never got a single ultrasound with my dd and everything was perfect!

RaLeighsMommy11
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 2:24 PM
Yes very wrong! My friends dd had a perfect heartbeat of 150-160 everyone but had a small hole in her heart when she was born that needed surgery. Not saying yours does at all just saying the heartbeat doesn't have to do with the ventricles necessarily. And you can get the heartbeat when the baby is facing anyway but may not get an accurate measurement of it. If your not concerned though then I wouldn't go. Did they not tell u why they were sending you back?

Quoting sweetieiv:

She did tell me the heart rate was good and strong. I know this doesn't mean she got to measure the heart but the way I see it is if it sounds good then it must be good. But I know that's just my theory so I can be very wrong.

Quoting RaLeighsMommy11:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dallas4nu
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 2:24 PM
1 mom liked this
I would request a different sonographer. (I think that's what they're called lol)
mama-smurf
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 2:24 PM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't skip any ultrasound. I love to see my lil baby!!!
finnbar
by Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 2:25 PM
You can safely skip. If you choose not to do yourself a favor and tell the office you want a different tech, one who actually paid attention to the bedside manner portion of the course. People seeing their babies are going to be excited and curious. If she can't maintain an appropriate level of shared enthusiasm maybe she should ultrasound gullbladders instead. And being rough is uncalled for. You are a person, not an incubator
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)