Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

refusing an ultrasound. bad idea or is it ok?

Posted by   + Show Post
So I had an ultrasound at 7 weeks and ofcourse the baby was so tiny and not developed but this ultrasound was to determine how far along I was. Then I had another ultrasound at 21 weeks and they told me I was having a girl. Nothing.g else was said. They gave me an appointment for another ultrasound which would be this Friday when I am 26weeks. I do not want another ultrasound though. I was disappointed with my second ultrasound because the tech didn't even tell me how the baby was doing. I kept asking "what are we looking at?" And she would respond a hand or the head or something but she seemed annoyed by my asking. I thought it was fair for me to ask because obviously I wanted to know and she was so quiet.then because we the baby was giving us her back, the tech had me turn to my side and the other side and after a while of trying and the baby not wanting to face us, she began to poke my belly in a kinda rough way. She began to push at my belly and it started to get painful. I am no medical professional but I don't think such force was necessary I mean the baby still decided to give us her back so why keep pushing at it? Anyways I was just so discouraged with everything and since I am not at high risk, I am seeing my doctor regularly and he said everything is going well with my pregnancy, blood pressure is normal, weight gain is normal, and no complications so far whatsoever I really don't want another ultrasound and I'm about to call and cancel. What do you think? Is it a bad idea to cancel? I really don't see the need for another ultrasound until maybe when I am more far along.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 2:14 PM
Replies (51-60):
sweetieiv
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 5:32 PM
Aww how sweet. I wish I would have had someone who atleast didn't have the mad face when I asked what are we looking at. I was in a good mood that day so I know I wasn't sounding bitchy at all.

Quoting Becky.Mom.of.2:

You don't HAVE to consent to an U/S if you don't want one. Especially since you are not high risk and don't have any complications.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience! The tech at my 20 week appt. was fabulous. She kept saying oh my gosh look at that, how cool, did you guys see that, what a miracle, etc. She also explained everything she was looking at. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bshoemaker
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 5:34 PM

It is ok to skip it but I would talk to your OB. Maybe there is a reason why she didn't say anything. I know if my ultrasound tech were to find something she isn't supposed to say anything, that is the OB's job. I would just ask your OB at the next visit about the last ultrasound. If they say everything was fine I would tell them you don't want this one.

RaLeighsMommy11
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 5:43 PM
Thank you. It scares me to even imagine him having to be born early but i trust my doctors will do everything they can if god forbid it did happen. Hopefully though I can make it full term & my Bp gets under control

Quoting sweetieiv:

My sil had a stroke due to high blood pressure and her baby was born at 24weeks or 26 sorry can't remember. Anyways her DD was born at only 2lbs and was hooked to so many tubes. Tubes to feed her, tubes to monitor her heart, tubes to breath and eyes shut with bandages because her eyes were too fragile. It was very sad to see the baby like that and the doctors told her that her DD was so tiny and weak that she only had like 20% chances of living. Well the baby was in the nicu for 3months and now she is one great bf healthy 8yr old. Becareful with your health for your baby but even in the worst case scenario, your baby and you can be so strong that nothing else matters.

Quoting RaLeighsMommy11:

It's extremely high like stroke high and I am on best rest he told me that they would do them to make sure the baby doesn't stop growing because of it

Quoting Pandapanda:

Because doctors who rely on ultrasound to provide maternity care are either incompetent or are looking for a reason to induce or surgically deliver. They'll give any reason they can, but it's almost never necessary. High bp definitely isn't one of those cases unless it's bad enough that you're on complete bedrest in the hospital. 

Quoting RaLeighsMommy11:

Why not late term ultrasounds? I have high Bp and doc wants to do regular ultrasounds weekly starting at 32 weeks & stress tests to monitor growth & amniotic fluid

Quoting lifeforchrist:

why did they do a 7wk ultrasound? They seem a little too ultrasound happy for my liking. I would refuse anymore. Ultrasound is untested technology, and while i don't think getting one ultrasound to find gender is all that bad, i would caustion against frequent ultrasounds. Especially late term ones. Theres no reason for another one. I never got a single ultrasound with my dd and everything was perfect!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dee0886
by Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 5:45 PM

I personally wouldn't refuse an ultrasound. Just in case they spot something.

EmmaZate
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 5:54 PM
Yes that's true. They would have told you at your appt. it's possible they just couldn't get a good angle on something. I personally wouldn't skip, but it's ultimately your choice.

Quoting sweetieiv:

But if they had found something wrong then they would have passed it on to my doctor who would have then told me at my next appointment which was last Monday. That is when he said the ultrasound looked good and baby was growing well and everything else look good. So I still don't see the specific need for me to go in. I am going to call my Dr and ask what would be a reason to go back for the third ultrasound if any.

Quoting EmmaZate:

I'm 15 weeks and have upwards of 10 ultrasounds, and I will have more. Most of them are of my cervix because its super weak and that is the only way to accurately measure the length.

That being said, I personally wouldn't tell someone to have an ultrasound at every visit like I do. Not everyone needs or wants it. I need it.

OP

If you don't want another ultrasound, don't get it, However, they might be looking at something specific. A soon graphed is not allowed to tell you if they find something wrong, even minorly, and are allowed to request you to come back for a double look and make sure what they found was accurate before having a doctor diagnose the issue. It could be something minor, or it could be huge. I would suggest going in and having the second ultrasound. There is usually a reason for it.

Quoting lifeforchrist:

why did they do a 7wk ultrasound? They seem a little too ultrasound happy for my liking. I would refuse anymore. Ultrasound is untested technology, and while i don't think getting one ultrasound to find gender is all that bad, i would caustion against frequent ultrasounds. Especially late term ones. Theres no reason for another one. I never got a single ultrasound with my dd and everything was perfect!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mazie0723
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Same here I wish I could have one more before he's born.

Quoting mama-smurf:

I wouldn't skip any ultrasound. I love to see my lil baby!!!

Carson Lenox

pregnancy week by week

Reepicheep.CSL
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 6:00 PM
I haven't had one ultrasound yet this pregnancy and don't plan on it.
LoriAnn87
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 6:04 PM

I would not skip any because of my history of preeclampias I want to make sure my baby is ok.

YzmaRocks
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 6:10 PM
You can refuse any medical procedure you wish :)

I only like to have the one in the middle of pregnancy, unless medically necessary.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Ruby Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Sounds like baby was in a bad position and your US tech was crappy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)