Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

refusing an ultrasound. bad idea or is it ok?

Posted by   + Show Post
So I had an ultrasound at 7 weeks and ofcourse the baby was so tiny and not developed but this ultrasound was to determine how far along I was. Then I had another ultrasound at 21 weeks and they told me I was having a girl. Nothing.g else was said. They gave me an appointment for another ultrasound which would be this Friday when I am 26weeks. I do not want another ultrasound though. I was disappointed with my second ultrasound because the tech didn't even tell me how the baby was doing. I kept asking "what are we looking at?" And she would respond a hand or the head or something but she seemed annoyed by my asking. I thought it was fair for me to ask because obviously I wanted to know and she was so quiet.then because we the baby was giving us her back, the tech had me turn to my side and the other side and after a while of trying and the baby not wanting to face us, she began to poke my belly in a kinda rough way. She began to push at my belly and it started to get painful. I am no medical professional but I don't think such force was necessary I mean the baby still decided to give us her back so why keep pushing at it? Anyways I was just so discouraged with everything and since I am not at high risk, I am seeing my doctor regularly and he said everything is going well with my pregnancy, blood pressure is normal, weight gain is normal, and no complications so far whatsoever I really don't want another ultrasound and I'm about to call and cancel. What do you think? Is it a bad idea to cancel? I really don't see the need for another ultrasound until maybe when I am more far along.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 2:14 PM
Replies (61-70):
Cynthje
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 6:40 PM

I never had more than two done, unless you are given a good reason i would feel comfortable refusing, plenty of women never had them at all!

I did have short ones arround 20 weeks to make sure the baby didnt have issues that would force me  to give birth on a larger island but thats it!

(i had a12 week one with my first one because of bleeding)

sweetieiv
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 6:47 PM
Can I ask why?

Quoting Reepicheep.CSL:

I haven't had one ultrasound yet this pregnancy and don't plan on it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WishingAway
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Sucks you didn't get the excitment you were looking for. :-( Do you whatever your comfortable with!!

soaringflutes
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 6:54 PM

I've already had 4, and I'm not quite 21 weeks.  Everything is fine, though, and I am tempted to skip the next one, but I haven't decided...

sweetieiv
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:01 PM
Why have you had so many? Did you request them?

Quoting soaringflutes:

I've already had 4, and I'm not quite 21 weeks.  Everything is fine, though, and I am tempted to skip the next one, but I haven't decided...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
soaringflutes
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Quoting sweetieiv:

Why have you had so many? Did you request them?

Quoting soaringflutes:

God no.  I didn't request them.  I'll be 42 when my baby is born, so that puts me at a higher risk than younger moms.  I also see a perinatoligist.  The only problem I've had so far, is slightly high blood sugar on the glucose test, but when I test it myself everyday, my level is normal. 

nocalmegan
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:10 PM
I don't skip mine bur the tech usually is not legally allowed to tell you any info. None of mine have ever been able to. My dr tells me the results at my next apt. Also with my last sometimes they had to move Callie around a bit to get what they needed and its not always comfortable
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
doulala
by Emerald Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Lots of people avoid them altogether.    Or save exposure for an indication/need.

I would avoid unnecessary exposure, personally.

doulala
by Emerald Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:16 PM

I haven't had any with my babies.

Quoting Reepicheep.CSL:

I haven't had one ultrasound yet this pregnancy and don't plan on it.
sweetieiv
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:19 PM
I already had my visit with the doctor on Monday and he said everything was fine. Everything looked normal. Baby is growing accordingly and I am healthy. And I guess its not that it was uncomfortable the problem I had was that she beat my belly. No joke she poked at me so much and rubbed me with the ultrasound thing that it began to hurt. I didn't say anything in hopes that the baby would get bothered enough to face us but she refused lol.

Quoting nocalmegan:

I don't skip mine bur the tech usually is not legally allowed to tell you any info. None of mine have ever been able to. My dr tells me the results at my next apt. Also with my last sometimes they had to move Callie around a bit to get what they needed and its not always comfortable

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)