Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

refusing an ultrasound. bad idea or is it ok?

Posted by   + Show Post
So I had an ultrasound at 7 weeks and ofcourse the baby was so tiny and not developed but this ultrasound was to determine how far along I was. Then I had another ultrasound at 21 weeks and they told me I was having a girl. Nothing.g else was said. They gave me an appointment for another ultrasound which would be this Friday when I am 26weeks. I do not want another ultrasound though. I was disappointed with my second ultrasound because the tech didn't even tell me how the baby was doing. I kept asking "what are we looking at?" And she would respond a hand or the head or something but she seemed annoyed by my asking. I thought it was fair for me to ask because obviously I wanted to know and she was so quiet.then because we the baby was giving us her back, the tech had me turn to my side and the other side and after a while of trying and the baby not wanting to face us, she began to poke my belly in a kinda rough way. She began to push at my belly and it started to get painful. I am no medical professional but I don't think such force was necessary I mean the baby still decided to give us her back so why keep pushing at it? Anyways I was just so discouraged with everything and since I am not at high risk, I am seeing my doctor regularly and he said everything is going well with my pregnancy, blood pressure is normal, weight gain is normal, and no complications so far whatsoever I really don't want another ultrasound and I'm about to call and cancel. What do you think? Is it a bad idea to cancel? I really don't see the need for another ultrasound until maybe when I am more far along.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 2:14 PM
Replies (71-80):
sweetieiv
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:20 PM
Oh I see. Well many moms over 40 have had very healthy babies and I'm sure your baby will be happy and healthy.

Quoting soaringflutes:

Quoting sweetieiv:

Why have you had so many? Did you request them?

Quoting soaringflutes:

I've already had 4, and I'm not quite 21 weeks.  Everything is fine, though, and I am tempted to skip the next one, but I haven't decided...

God no.  I didn't request them.  I'll be 42 when my baby is born, so that puts me at a higher risk than younger moms.  I also see a perinatoligist.  The only problem I've had so far, is slightly high blood sugar on the glucose test, but when I test it myself everyday, my level is normal. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nocalmegan
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:21 PM
I would just request a different tech then or make a point to let her know she's is hurting you :(

Quoting sweetieiv:

I already had my visit with the doctor on Monday and he said everything was fine. Everything looked normal. Baby is growing accordingly and I am healthy. And I guess its not that it was uncomfortable the problem I had was that she beat my belly. No joke she poked at me so much and rubbed me with the ultrasound thing that it began to hurt. I didn't say anything in hopes that the baby would get bothered enough to face us but she refused lol.

Quoting nocalmegan:

I don't skip mine bur the tech usually is not legally allowed to tell you any info. None of mine have ever been able to. My dr tells me the results at my next apt. Also with my last sometimes they had to move Callie around a bit to get what they needed and its not always comfortable

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
luvmymunchkins3
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:23 PM
well to be fair they really cant give you any info thats your doctors job they are just there to take the pictures
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Reepicheep.CSL
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:47 PM

I have had 5 previous pregnancies. The first pregnancy I received 5 ultrasounds (mostly looking for the sex of the baby, which was never found) and 1 with each consecutive pregnancy which ended up being a giant waste of time because we already knew our children were healthy and we had decided to not find out the sex.
This pregnancy we decided to go without an ultrasound unless there was a reason that we needed it. We haven't needed it and I am happy with that decision.

Quoting sweetieiv:

Can I ask why?

Quoting Reepicheep.CSL:

I haven't had one ultrasound yet this pregnancy and don't plan on it.

Reepicheep.CSL
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I had 5 with my first baby. We were so insistent on knowing the sex. He was shy and never showed us.
With the next 4 we had one each, but it just seemed like a waste of time since we weren't searching for the sex and I don't have this need to see my child in the womb.
We decided that we were just going to skip it this time and I am happy with my decision. 

Quoting doulala:

I haven't had any with my babies.

Quoting Reepicheep.CSL:

Cynthje
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Wth my two the gender was not to be seen on the us both had their legs closed etc....we didnt want to know anyway so it was never and issue for us!

Quoting Reepicheep.CSL:

I had 5 with my first baby. We were so insistent on knowing the sex. He was shy and never showed us.
With the next 4 we had one each, but it just seemed like a waste of time since we weren't searching for the sex and I don't have this need to see my child in the womb.
We decided that we were just going to skip it this time and I am happy with my decision. 

Quoting doulala:

I haven't had any with my babies.

Quoting Reepicheep.CSL:

Throughout the world, there exists a group of women who feel mightily drawn to giving care to women in childbirth. At the same time maternal and independent, responsive to a mother's needs, yet accepting full responsibility as her attendant; such women are natural midwives. Without the presence and acceptance of the midwife, obstetrics becomes aggressive, technical, and inhuman.

Professor G.J. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam

k4m7d93
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 8:27 PM

I would keep your appointment, they might not have gotten all the pictures that they needed. I know I had an ultrasound done with my son at 20w and they couldn't get a picture of his insides so they gave me another at 24w when he was bigger. But it's really up to you whether you go or not. You should have told your OBGYN how rough the ultrasound tech was, and maybe ask for another when you get ultrasounds done because of your experience. I know I loved my ultrasounds so I could see my little one. But it's different for everyone!

Jasuzha
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 8:38 PM
Quoting sweetieiv:

My son's heart sounded good and he was born with an enlarged ventricle.
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers
GoddessNDaRuff
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Well, I'm shocked they are giving you so many. You may need a new one (rather they may want a new one) because the pictures the tech got probably weren't good or not what was needed. I had a jerk tech like that with my youngest son. He was so rude, didn't like answering my questions, and rough.

Now they are not allowed to tell you "how the baby is doing", your doctor has to do that after they review the images. My doctor called me and told me I needed to redo my ultrasound with my youngest son and when I got there I was informed the tech that saw me had been terminated because not only were patients complaining but for all his so called concentration his measurements were always wrong, he didn't take pictures of the correct structures, and had caused the misdiagnosis of a bunch of babies. My ultrasound was showing my son's spine was severed in certain spots and distorted. They redid it and of course there was nothing wrong with his spine at all. They didn't tell me that they thought something was wrong until the doctor had a chance to review the new ultrasound and could assure me that everything was okay.

It's up to you. You can decide to just cancel. I don't blame you for not wanting another one after how that tech handled you. There is no reason it should have hurt you at all and I hope you reported it. But I think there is a reason they want a new one so soon.

GoddessNDaRuff
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:27 PM

My baby had her legs crossed and her hands down there! She was determined not to let us see. But the tech convinced her to move and she revealed herself to be a girl. Then the tech went back to measuring other things. She checked once more before we concluded and yep girl. I'm glad she did that for me because we spent about 15 mins trying to get baby girl to show off for us. She was a great tech.

Quoting butterflycircle:

The u/s is for far more than just seeing if baby is a boy or a girl. They check all of babies part (organs and things). My first child I had to go back and they then found out that she had cysts in one of her kidneys (a multicystic dysplastic kidney). They also check the babies heart (all of the parts of the heart, the beating, the size) and brain too, as well as the fluids around the baby. They can also at times detect down syndrom. 

You might not even get the same u/s lady. They also poke and bump at my belly to when I go for u/s (3rd pregnancy) when baby isn't cooperating. This time (and my last baby) I have only gotten 1 u/s around 20 weeks and that is it (other than for this baby I had an early one to date my pregnany). I wish they would give me one more this time though b/c baby had her legs crossed so we "think" baby might be a girl (their best geuss lol). 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN