Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

refusing an ultrasound. bad idea or is it ok?

Posted by   + Show Post
So I had an ultrasound at 7 weeks and ofcourse the baby was so tiny and not developed but this ultrasound was to determine how far along I was. Then I had another ultrasound at 21 weeks and they told me I was having a girl. Nothing.g else was said. They gave me an appointment for another ultrasound which would be this Friday when I am 26weeks. I do not want another ultrasound though. I was disappointed with my second ultrasound because the tech didn't even tell me how the baby was doing. I kept asking "what are we looking at?" And she would respond a hand or the head or something but she seemed annoyed by my asking. I thought it was fair for me to ask because obviously I wanted to know and she was so quiet.then because we the baby was giving us her back, the tech had me turn to my side and the other side and after a while of trying and the baby not wanting to face us, she began to poke my belly in a kinda rough way. She began to push at my belly and it started to get painful. I am no medical professional but I don't think such force was necessary I mean the baby still decided to give us her back so why keep pushing at it? Anyways I was just so discouraged with everything and since I am not at high risk, I am seeing my doctor regularly and he said everything is going well with my pregnancy, blood pressure is normal, weight gain is normal, and no complications so far whatsoever I really don't want another ultrasound and I'm about to call and cancel. What do you think? Is it a bad idea to cancel? I really don't see the need for another ultrasound until maybe when I am more far along.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 2:14 PM
Replies (81-90):
Heather2001
by Heather on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:06 PM

I'd cancel.  Unless they found some abnormality that needs to be followed up on, there's no need to have any more at this point.

hplesha
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:08 PM
I loved the ultrasounds. Cooperating or not, i had the chance to see their faces and hear the heartbeat.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
butterflycircle
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:19 AM

You are so lucky!  lol. Mine would not move she spent a long time trying and shaking my belly and stuff. At first she said she just couldn't tell. Then she said she thinks girl b/c she sees the 3 lines but not as clearly as she would like and the legs are crossed. She was just afraid that if baby moved the legs there might be something tucked up there lol. Time will tell : )

Quoting GoddessNDaRuff:

My baby had her legs crossed and her hands down there! She was determined not to let us see. But the tech convinced her to move and she revealed herself to be a girl. Then the tech went back to measuring other things. She checked once more before we concluded and yep girl. I'm glad she did that for me because we spent about 15 mins trying to get baby girl to show off for us. She was a great tech.

Quoting butterflycircle:

The u/s is for far more than just seeing if baby is a boy or a girl. They check all of babies part (organs and things). My first child I had to go back and they then found out that she had cysts in one of her kidneys (a multicystic dysplastic kidney). They also check the babies heart (all of the parts of the heart, the beating, the size) and brain too, as well as the fluids around the baby. They can also at times detect down syndrom. 

You might not even get the same u/s lady. They also poke and bump at my belly to when I go for u/s (3rd pregnancy) when baby isn't cooperating. This time (and my last baby) I have only gotten 1 u/s around 20 weeks and that is it (other than for this baby I had an early one to date my pregnany). I wish they would give me one more this time though b/c baby had her legs crossed so we "think" baby might be a girl (their best geuss lol). 

Basherte
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:20 AM

I would call your doctor and ask him why he wants the ultrasound.If he doesn't have a reason other than it's what they do... then I would cancel it if you feel uncomfortable with it. 

LaughingTattoo
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:29 AM

Its perfectly fine to refuse. I have placenta previa (Im 21 weeks). Normally they check the progress of my placenta at 26 weeks in this case but Ive refused another US until 32 weeks.There is just no point in it. 32 weeks for me is nessesary though bc they have to schedule c section for 37 weeks if it hasnt moved. Going into labor is a big no-no if my placenta doesnt move :)

Devious103102
by Ruby Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:54 AM

Yeah, I'd deff be a bit concerned because that's really not the norm. Talk to the doc and find out his reasonings for wanting to do the u/s before you decide what to do but DEFF let him know about the tech and the treatment.

Quoting sweetieiv:

They gave me no reason to go back. They just said they wanted a follow up in 4weeks so I set up an appointment and that was that. They didn't say I needed one for whatever reason. I just called and asked and they said the doctor would call me back.

Quoting Devious103102:

What's their reasoning for ordering another u/s so soon, though?  If everything was fine with the pregnancy then normally you wouldn't be getting another at all. I'd just go ahead with the u/s and either ask for a diff tech or actually SAY something to the tech this time around, and deff tell your doc about the treatment. 

mrs.Martinez201
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:56 AM
Ask for a different ultrasound tech
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
FrancineSmith
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:09 AM
This

Quoting Basherte:

I would call your doctor and ask him why he wants the ultrasound.If he doesn't have a reason other than it's what they do... then I would cancel it if you feel uncomfortable with it. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anxiousschk
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Find out why they want it.  If the answer doesn't work for you, it's okay to decline. 

My OB was going to give me another one at around 36 weeks to see if the baby had moved.  

I switched to a midwife and *gasp* she just FELT my stomach and was able to tell me.  :) 

gamelas
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:51 AM

you don't neeeed any ultrasound and can refuse ny medical test or procedure.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)