Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

bbyshower...vent..

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 2:44 PM
  • 10 Replies
OK so I'm 22 weeks today and my mil and sil are planning a baby shower I told them I completely fine with it being Co ed because there are a lit of guys on his side of the family. Not only that I love his brothers and his brothers friends they are hilarious. We were talking about the babyshower the other day and they said its not coed and its all his mil and sil friends I got kinda upset and they both said fine if you want it cod you plan it and pay for it... seriously??? I'm not going to know anyone besides family there and my df isn't even allowed to come.. what do I freaking do.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 2:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Jan. 8, 2013 at 2:46 PM
2 moms liked this

That's ridiculous. What's the big deal if it's co-ed?! They're being really rude/stupid/disrespectful about it. 

Hafsa1
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 2:47 PM
What about your side of the family, and your friends?
kbear1992
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 2:50 PM
My side of the family is planning there own babyshower for me and as for friends I'm 20 turning 21 all my friends pretty much up and left when I became pregnant because they wanted to continue to party I haven't talked to them in about 6 months..

Quoting Hafsa1:

Hafsa1
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 2:51 PM
1 mom liked this
I personally prefer an all female shower with the option of dad to be able to come. The coeds I've been to have been loud/obnoxious, was more of a hang out than a shower. To each their own though. Maybe your in laws feel the same way.
Hafsa1
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 2:54 PM
1 mom liked this
Are you doing a coed with your family? Maybe in laws can't afford all the extra people? Just trying to give a different perspective. Sorry about your friends though, that stinks.

Quoting kbear1992:

My side of the family is planning there own babyshower for me and as for friends I'm 20 turning 21 all my friends pretty much up and left when I became pregnant because they wanted to continue to party I haven't talked to them in about 6 months..

Quoting Hafsa1:

kbear1992
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 2:55 PM
My side of the family is Mexican so I'm used to the loud obnoxious behavior because everything turns into a hang out that's how I was raised. And this is df and my first baby... I'm new to this I want my df there but they said he could "come by and pick up the presents" I want him there for support he is my backbone.

Quoting Hafsa1:

I personally prefer an all female shower with the option of dad to be able to come. The coeds I've been to have been loud/obnoxious, was more of a hang out than a shower. To each their own though. Maybe your in laws feel the same way.

Hafsa1
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 3:03 PM
Maybe you could talk to them about having just him there, not all of his friends, or just have him show up and stay. I doubt anyone would start an argument at the party ;) Ds' dad wasn't at any of the showers I had, which I'm glad because he would have been bored or just looked annoyed that he had to stay lol. I'm assuming his side isn't mexican? are they more reserved (I'm not saying mexicans aren't)?

Quoting kbear1992:

My side of the family is Mexican so I'm used to the loud obnoxious behavior because everything turns into a hang out that's how I was raised. And this is df and my first baby... I'm new to this I want my df there but they said he could "come by and pick up the presents" I want him there for support he is my backbone.

Quoting Hafsa1:

Devious103102
by Ruby Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Either let them do it the way they want or don't have one/do your own. 

stagemom98
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 4:40 PM
1 mom liked this

How annoying!  When I got married my MIL insisted on throwing a seperate shower for his side and I'm going to absolutely forbid her from doing it this time.  We have been married for nearly 13 years and I still don't really know most of his side (they made zero effort because they thought I was weird for not getting pregnant right away.)  Is there any way you can just put your foot down about it?  How uncomfortable to have to sit in a room full of people you don't even know!

soaringflutes
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Unless you are throwing the shower, I don't think you get a say.  However, I don't know why they aren't listening to what you want. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)