Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy
What is everyones feelings on co-sleeping? Is it safe to have your baby sleep with u?? How many of you do that or are going to?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:37 PM
Replies (11-20):
mrsniebo
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:08 AM

I'm a heavy sleeper, so I rarely coslept with my DD. However, on occasion I'm sure it was safer to bring DD to bed to nurse than to risk falling asleep in a chair with her. 

ryryab
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:47 AM
1 mom liked this

Baby is going to sleep in bed with us. 

louzannalady
by Gold Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 1:15 AM
1 mom liked this
I do this. Co-sleeping is a broad term. It can mean having seperate sleeping spaces, but being in the same room. It can mean bedsharing (sharing the same sleeping surface). First rule: never bedshare with a formula fed baby. A majority of deaths are from formula fed babies. Then, there are other rules. Single sheet. Not fluffy blankets. Single pillow per adult. Never place baby between you and SO. Don't bedshare if you are obese, smoke, drink or take any form of drug (illegal, OTC or 'script) that makes you sleep heavier. NEVER EVER EVER (did I say EVER!) sleep on a couch or in a chair with a baby- aside from formula feeding, that is the single BIGGEST risk factor for infant death and injury when sharing a sleeping surface!!!!!! Never bedshare if you are sick or somehow impaired or have a sleep disorder.... Just Google "safe bedsharing James McKenna" and you will get a comprehensive list from an anthropologist from Notre Dame. Good reading on why infants should never sleep alone, from a safety and bioligical perspective, backed by reputable sleep studies. : )
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
louzannalady
by Gold Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 1:17 AM
That is still co-sleeping. It is just not bedsharing. ; )

Quoting LucyHarper:

We don't do it, we don't believe it to be safe and just could never take that risk. Our baby sleeps in their crib next to our bed.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommynwife26
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 1:22 AM
1 mom liked this
I bed shared with both my kids till over a year. My first was bottle fed my 2nd breastfed. If done safely it is so rewarding! I couldnt sleep otherwise having them with me for 9mths 24/7 it didn't seem right sticking them in a cold crib....that's just me though.
Eta I'm obese so apparently I broke tons of bed sharing rules.
Heather2001
by Heather on Jan. 9, 2013 at 1:43 AM

I've done it with all three of my kids.

Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:22 AM

I bedshare. My youngest child wouldn't be here with us today if she'd been sleeping across the room or in a different room. 

Mazie0723
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:26 AM
All 4 of my younger kids slept in our room in a separate bed for the first year.
kelly617
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:39 AM

I will be "bed sharing" with the new little one...I'm having a c-section and am going to breast feed so I think it will be easier for the middle of the night feedings to NOT have to try and struggle out of bed

I did buy a little moses basket so baby will have their own space in the bed (gonna put it between my pillow and DH's pillow

mommyde3boys
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:48 AM
Both of our older boys each slept with us until they were about 2 years old. Our third one who is now 2 years and 2 months old is in bed with us now and we plan on switching him into his toddler bed before baby #4 comes who is due in June! They were all breastfed until 19-20 months old and it was very convenient for us and besides that, I just love it and feel safe with my decision. Baby #4 will be sleeping in bed with us too:)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)