Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy
What is everyones feelings on co-sleeping? Is it safe to have your baby sleep with u?? How many of you do that or are going to?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:37 PM
Replies (21-30):
lovemyhoney19
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 4:03 AM
We co-sleep. My baby was so fussy sleeping in bed with us and sleeps so much better in her own space. It took some time to figure out what would work best but we got it :)
I however would never leave her in her own room until she's about 1 1/2 years old or maybe even 2. I feel better knowing that she is literally within arms reach.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jessymoka
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:08 AM
3 moms liked this
We' be done the family bed with all of our three kids and plan on doing it with this one. I would never dream of putting a baby who's so small, and helpless, and used to the warmth and comfort of it mother in a crib all alone. We (the USA) is one of the very few countries in the world where co-sleeping/family bed is NOT the norm.
I've always been interested by the idea of telling kids... You go sleep in your bed alone, while daddy and I cuddle together and enjoy sharing a bed. Our kids don't just need us during the day, what makes us think they don't need us at night too? They need us always.
There is nothing more comforting to me then going to bed with everyone I love right next to me. I rest better, because I am not up nursing a bunch of times in the middle of the night, I just insert breast and to back to sleep or I wake when irrational fear comes over me and can see my precious angel sleeping soundly and safely right next me.
Of course there does come a point where it's time for them to transition to their own beds.
My 15 year old went into his own bed when he was 3, with no problems.
My 11 year old went to her bed around 3.5, her transition took a little longer.
My 5 year old also started transitioning around three as well.

We also have an open bed policy for bad dreams, or if hubby is out of town I end up with a kid or two in my bed.
When I become I mother I wanted to share my entire life with my kids, not just my waking hours.
FrancineSmith
by Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:13 AM
We'll bed share for a while. I have a DD who is 4.5yo and she sleeps in our bed a few times a month, but she has no issue sleeping in her own bed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anxiousschk
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:17 AM

I did it with my first, it was the only way to get any sleep! 

We will see what works for this one.  I would do it again if I needed to.  They have the co-sleeper pods that you can put in the bed, or a side sleeper crib.  

It's perfectly safe if you follow the recommendations for it.  

Yogamom08
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:18 AM
I did it with DS, but only after trying (and failing) to get him to sleep in his bassinet. He would wake up every single time I put him down! The co-sleeping started by accident. I was breastfeeding him laying down on my side...and I just fell asleep. But he actually stayed asleep! So he slept in bed with me for the first few months. I slept on top of the covers without a pillow, and I made my ex sleep in the guest room. I swear, I slept with one eye open. Any time DS moved or made a sound, I was up!

With this baby, I am going to really try to put her in a bassinet right next to the bed, but if she doesn't stay asleep, I will probably co sleep.
jshalas89
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:21 AM
It's safe when researched and done responsibly. There's many forms of co sleeping but I think you're talking about the bed sharing kind of co sleeping and I have done it for 6 months now and plan on doing it with the next. People need to RESEARCH and LEARN before doing it! I can't stress that enough.
Raeann11
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:59 AM

We bed share and co-sleep with our little ones and still do bed share when they need it. If done properly bed sharing is very safe. I thought I would never do it with my first. But after a few nights of no sleep. I realized why would I make her start to sleep on her own. She has been cuddled up for 9 months inside. I could not image someone telling me all the sudden I could no longer sleep with my hubby. That would be so hard on me. So it really made me realize how my sweet little one must feel. We all slept so much better after that. Never had any issues with my girls going to there own room. Each were at different ages. My second it was not till she was 3 years old but every know and then she would sleep in her room. Like I said earlier they all do end up in our bed from time to time - bad dreams, sick, storms and they get one night a week to sleep in our bed if they want to. My 9 year old will say most the time. I am too old for that. Which she is getting to that age. Just the way I feel about it. I know everyone is so different and have to look at what is right for them.

mama-smurf
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:08 AM
Nope. Its not safe for us. Extremely dangerous.
JadeTigr7
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:13 AM

We bed-share or co-sleep depending on the needs of the child for at least the first year of life, then we slowly transition them to their own room after a year.  

Our older children all know they are welcome to come into bed with us if they need to in the middle of the night. 

Emilytrademark
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:17 AM
2 moms liked this

Personally, I am 100% for co-sleeping. Studies show it reduces the risk of SIDS, and I definitely believe that to be true. Biologically, the mother's body signals the baby's body to breathe during sleep. The mother is also wired to awaken if there are any disturbances with the baby. I don't see any natural reason to separate a mother and a child during infancy.

As for the amount of sleep you get, I found I got more while co-sleeping seeing as I was exclusively breastfeeding.

There are very safe ways to co-sleep, and then there are less safe ways to co-sleep. We did this with our daughter for the first 8 months or so and plan to do so again with the next.

BabyFruit Ticker
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN