Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What is everyones feelings on co-sleeping? Is it safe to have your baby sleep with u?? How many of you do that or are going to?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:37 PM
Replies (31-40):
Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:26 PM
1 mom liked this

This <3 Very well said. 

Quoting Emilytrademark:

Personally, I am 100% for co-sleeping. Studies show it reduces the risk of SIDS, and I definitely believe that to be true. Biologically, the mother's body signals the baby's body to breathe during sleep. The mother is also wired to awaken if there are any disturbances with the baby. I don't see any natural reason to separate a mother and a child during infancy.

As for the amount of sleep you get, I found I got more while co-sleeping seeing as I was exclusively breastfeeding.

There are very safe ways to co-sleep, and then there are less safe ways to co-sleep. We did this with our daughter for the first 8 months or so and plan to do so again with the next.

jeh81489
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Well that was more then one doctor I have heard it from I have had two different doctor's for my two pregnancies

Quoting LKRA:

Yah. Doctors are not very hip to the lingo. lol
Quoting Duquesne:

That's bed sharing. ;)

Quoting jeh81489:

I have always been told by my doc that co-sleeping is having the baby sleeing with you in bed

Quoting LKRA:

That's co-sleeping. :)

Quoting LucyHarper:

We don't do it, we don't believe it to be safe and just could never take that risk. Our baby sleeps in their crib next to our bed.

Emilytrademark
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Basically, co-sleeping refers to any sleeping situation where the parent and child are in the same room.

Quoting jeh81489:

Well that was more then one doctor I have heard it from I have had two different doctor's for my two pregnancies

Quoting LKRA:

Yah. Doctors are not very hip to the lingo. lol
Quoting Duquesne:

That's bed sharing. ;)

Quoting jeh81489:

I have always been told by my doc that co-sleeping is having the baby sleeing with you in bed

Quoting LKRA:

That's co-sleeping. :)

Quoting LucyHarper:

We don't do it, we don't believe it to be safe and just could never take that risk. Our baby sleeps in their crib next to our bed.

BabyFruit Ticker
MMerrill
by Melissa on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:54 PM

My son sleeps in a crib next to my bed, I'm a very light sleeper but he is only 5lbs right now and is so tiny, I'm worried anything could happen to him.  And when my husband is in town, we definitely wouldn't be able to put him in our bed because my husband sleeps so heavily.  Plus I don't want to get him in a bad habbit of sleeping with us...next thing you know he's 10 and in our bed every night.

wedding countdown

CafeMom Tickers

swmmra
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 3:05 PM
1 mom liked this

We do not co-sleep. 2 reason on that. 

1, both dh and I tend to be heavy sleepers, I don't feel comfortable knowing that. 

2, we sleep in a water bed. So there is no "hard" sirface to place the baby on, so it is not safe for baby to sleep with us. 

Baby will be sleeping in a pack and play at the foot of our bed. 

JadeTigr7
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 3:12 PM
1 mom liked this

All of mine (4 kids) slept in the bed with us from birth until at least a year (except my 3rd who slept better in his own crib, in our room).

None of my kids sleep in my bed now.  That is completely untrue.  My kids 8 1/2, 7, 5, and 3. 

Quoting MMerrill:

My son sleeps in a crib next to my bed, I'm a very light sleeper but he is only 5lbs right now and is so tiny, I'm worried anything could happen to him.  And when my husband is in town, we definitely wouldn't be able to put him in our bed because my husband sleeps so heavily.  Plus I don't want to get him in a bad habbit of sleeping with us...next thing you know he's 10 and in our bed every night.

Ealane2011
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 3:13 PM

My personal opinion, I never will. The kids aren't even allowed in our bedroom.

RaLeighsMommy11
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 3:15 PM
I don't do it in the beginning (first month) but then I find it safe if done properly. Dd is 2 and still sleeps with me. This baby will be in a cosleeper attached to our bed so he will technically be in his own bed but right there beside me
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Xanbuttsmom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 3:20 PM
I may co-sleep with my newborn for the first week or two, but it's not something I could do long term. Im an EXTREMELY light sleeper and I toss and turn a lot. If I kept it up no one would get sleep.
Ds slept with me for two weeks then I put him in his own bed in the same room. He is 21 months now. He was in his own room for like a month and I didn't like it at all.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
louzannalady
by Gold Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 6:05 PM

HERE are some stats on bed sharing versus crib sleeping. : ) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured