Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy
What is everyones feelings on co-sleeping? Is it safe to have your baby sleep with u?? How many of you do that or are going to?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:37 PM
Replies (41-50):
louzannalady
by Gold Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Why would it be unsafe, may I ask? 

Quoting mama-smurf:

Nope. Its not safe for us. Extremely dangerous.

louzannalady
by Gold Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 6:10 PM

It is not safe to put baby between you and DH!!!!

Quoting kelly617:

I will be "bed sharing" with the new little one...I'm having a c-section and am going to breast feed so I think it will be easier for the middle of the night feedings to NOT have to try and struggle out of bed

I did buy a little moses basket so baby will have their own space in the bed (gonna put it between my pillow and DH's pillow

brittany208
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 6:11 PM

I wasn't planning on it the first time around, but I fell asleep with LO in my arms in the hospital, and it was just so perfect!! If you decide to do it, read ALL about it and how to do it safely!! NO ONE should co-sleep with baby except momma, and she should not drink/smoke/be overweight/take medications/have fluffy blankets....

Yes, it can be dangerous, but so can a lot of things. Women do it alllll over the world. Not sure if I will with my next one or not.

kelly617
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 6:14 PM

I don't want to put the baby on the edge...he/she might fall off...
I was thinking the moses basket would be at the top of the bed..inbetween my pillow and DH

Where SHOULD I put the baby?

Quoting louzannalady:

Quoting kelly617:

I will be "bed sharing" with the new little one...I'm having a c-section and am going to breast feed so I think it will be easier for the middle of the night feedings to NOT have to try and struggle out of bed

I did buy a little moses basket so baby will have their own space in the bed (gonna put it between my pillow and DH's pillow

BabyFetus Ticker

mama-smurf
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 6:15 PM
1 mom liked this
Bf is bigger, we both toss and turn to where we hit each other lol

Quoting louzannalady:

Why would it be unsafe, may I ask? 

Quoting mama-smurf:

Nope. Its not safe for us. Extremely dangerous.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jeh81489
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Ok thanks to know

expecting baby

Quoting Emilytrademark:

Basically, co-sleeping refers to any sleeping situation where the parent and child are in the same room.

Quoting jeh81489:

Well that was more then one doctor I have heard it from I have had two different doctor's for my two pregnancies

Quoting LKRA:

Yah. Doctors are not very hip to the lingo. lol
Quoting Duquesne:

That's bed sharing. ;)

Quoting jeh81489:

I have always been told by my doc that co-sleeping is having the baby sleeing with you in bed

Quoting LKRA:

That's co-sleeping. :)

Quoting LucyHarper:

We don't do it, we don't believe it to be safe and just could never take that risk. Our baby sleeps in their crib next to our bed.

louzannalady
by Gold Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 6:25 PM

It is super important that you put baby at chest level and NEVER up near the pillows, as that is a suffocation hazard. You can put the bed near the wall and make sure that the mattress is firm against it. Or you can get a rail. 

HERE is more info on how to bed share safely. 

Quoting kelly617:

I don't want to put the baby on the edge...he/she might fall off...
I was thinking the moses basket would be at the top of the bed..inbetween my pillow and DH

Where SHOULD I put the baby?

Quoting louzannalady:

Quoting kelly617:

MMerrill
by Melissa on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:15 PM

It's not completely untrue, it can go either way and I'm just not even going to give it the opportunity to happen.

Quoting JadeTigr7:

All of mine (4 kids) slept in the bed with us from birth until at least a year (except my 3rd who slept better in his own crib, in our room).

None of my kids sleep in my bed now.  That is completely untrue.  My kids 8 1/2, 7, 5, and 3. 

Quoting MMerrill:

My son sleeps in a crib next to my bed, I'm a very light sleeper but he is only 5lbs right now and is so tiny, I'm worried anything could happen to him.  And when my husband is in town, we definitely wouldn't be able to put him in our bed because my husband sleeps so heavily.  Plus I don't want to get him in a bad habbit of sleeping with us...next thing you know he's 10 and in our bed every night.

wedding countdown

CafeMom Tickers

Cynthje
by Gold Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:26 PM

We did both when our kids were younger, bed sharing and room sharing, it just depended on the situation! I like having them close its also easier when breastfeeding, now they are 5 and 3 and the 5 year old does come into our bed at night but the 3 year old never does.

I think it just depends on the kid

Throughout the world, there exists a group of women who feel mightily drawn to giving care to women in childbirth. At the same time maternal and independent, responsive to a mother's needs, yet accepting full responsibility as her attendant; such women are natural midwives. Without the presence and acceptance of the midwife, obstetrics becomes aggressive, technical, and inhuman.

Professor G.J. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam

avaana06
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:34 PM

I am thinking about using the arms reach co sleeper. If  not that, we will use a bassinet in the room with us.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)