Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What is everyones feelings on co-sleeping? Is it safe to have your baby sleep with u?? How many of you do that or are going to?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:37 PM
Replies (81-88):
soaringflutes
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:21 PM

I have heard it's not safe to do if one is overweight, and I am.  My bed is much too small anyway, and I like to sleep with a lot of covers on me, so baby will sleep in a bassinet right beside me.  Even if things were ideal, I still wouldn't do it.  I live in a state where nearly every year a baby dies on a mattress.  If I did believe in doing it, I would make sure how to do it so the baby would be safe, because most of the time I'm sure it is.

CrunchyBran
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:22 PM
2 moms liked this

Here's a neuroanthropology link about biological imperatives: http://neuroanthropology.net/2008/12/21/cosleeping-and-biological-imperatives-why-human-babies-do-not-and-should-not-sleep-alone/

Dr Sears cosleeping: http://www.askdrsears.com/news/latest-news/dr-sears-addresses-recent-co-sleeping-concerns

Also, around 70% of American families will cosleep.  In order to reduce the number of accidents, it is important we teach parents how to SAFELY cosleep and bedshare, rather then tell them they shouldn't.

Randi02
by Gold Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:38 PM
2 moms liked this

University of Notre Dame has a Mother/Infant behavioural sleep laboratory that is headed by Dr. James McKenna. He has tons of links to different articles and studies on the U of ND website. He was the one who reviewed the 2010 bed sharing deaths and found that they were ALL formula fed. Some were also sleeping on couches, with a non parent, or someone who was under the influence of drugs/alcohol as well - but being bottle fed was the one factor all across the board.

Still, those 60 bedsharing deaths that happen yearly in the US are nothing compared to the 2000+ crib deaths that occur :(

Quoting CrunchyBran:

Also, bedsharing is safest when breastfeeding.  Breastfeeding mothers have a hightened biological response that raises body awareness and prevents roll over incidents.  One study in WI found that in all of their bedsharing deaths over a 1 or 2 year period (I don't remember which) all the mothers were formula feeding.  I will see if I can find a link.

av0531
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:46 PM
We did with DS and DH doesn't want to do it with this LO. We will be buying an "extension" to our bed so baby can basically sleep next to me just in she/he own bed. We didn't plan on doing that but our bed is really high and I had stitches. It made it hard on me to get in and out of bed when DS would wake up.
Beautifulmom513
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:47 PM

I dunno. I kind of have mixed feelings on it. I use to be strongly against it. I didn't bed-share with our son. but we had him in his own bed but in our room with us till he was 5 years old. he had no problems moving to his own room. he was ready. I just had my 2nd baby 2 months ago and was planning on having her sleep in her crib next to our bed. but she is a totally different baby. she won't sleep on her own at all. she wants to be held or right next to me. I tried for several nights having her sleep on her own in her crib, but she just wouldn't do it. she kept waking up. once I brought her to bed with me she slept fine. she either lays on my chest or lays right next to me. I am a very light sleeper and I don't move around in my sleep. I hear her as soon as she wakes up and starts fussing. she still wakes up about 2-3 times a night. but I don't move her at all. just feed her real quick and she goes right back to sleep. it works for us for now. but I hoping in a few months I can get her to sleep on her own in her crib. but we'll see. I think co-sleeping can be done safely. but personally I am not a big fan of it. I only doing it now cuz its the only way me and baby can get any sleep.

JKuney
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 6:35 PM

That's one of my worries about getting it, that we will get it and never use it lol. I just don't know about spending all that money if it's something LO will never use kwim?!? But who knows we could get it and it be the best thing ever!

Quoting TTC2Long:

I started out with an arms reach cosleeper. It ended up being a catch-all for burp cloths & stuff. I think he slept in it twice, maybe 3 times. But some people really like them!

Quoting JKuney:

I want to co-sleep. I wanted to with dd#1, but I was scared. Now I'm older and wiser (ha!!) and I want to try co-sleeping with this one. I won't to get an arms reach co-sleeper, but I will have to learn a lot more before I will feel comfortable with co-sleeping. I totally want to though. 

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

ElliesMommyy
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 6:41 PM

I did with my DD. I am NOT a deep sleeper when it comes to things like that, I alternated between cosleeping and putting her in her newborn napper. But with our next one I will alternate again and cosleep, I will also be breastfeeding. AND we will have a king bed so lots of room. I was scared of letting her sleep with me and then not sleeping in her own crib, but i think the alternating helped and then i just put her in her own bed and did the "cry it out method" anyway, that's my deal with cosleeping. I don't mind it

TTC2Long
by Gold Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 6:47 PM
It's one of those things that you just won't know until you try. Some babies like having their own space, some want to be right with mama. You can probably find one on Craigslist if you want to save some $$. It will take time and patience, but you can take all the fabric parts off and wash them and get a new crib mattress.

Quoting JKuney:

That's one of my worries about getting it, that we will get it and never use it lol. I just don't know about spending all that money if it's something LO will never use kwim?!? But who knows we could get it and it be the best thing ever!

Quoting TTC2Long:

I started out with an arms reach cosleeper. It ended up being a catch-all for burp cloths & stuff. I think he slept in it twice, maybe 3 times. But some people really like them!

Quoting JKuney:

I want to co-sleep. I wanted to with dd#1, but I was scared. Now I'm older and wiser (ha!!) and I want to try co-sleeping with this one. I won't to get an arms reach co-sleeper, but I will have to learn a lot more before I will feel comfortable with co-sleeping. I totally want to though. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured