Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy
No, I don't think I'm possesed, just a silly title lol my question comes from some personal conflict. 18 weeks pregnant, still don't know the gender of the baby. My boyfriend (Thomas) and I have been discussing names since day one. Now, if its a boy, he has his heart absolutely set on having his little namesake. This is his first child and my 2nd. He's a wonderful man, very loving and caring and will be an excellent father. But my heart has always been set on naming any future son Daniel, for many reasons. My grandmother has a beloved uncle named Daniel, who she named her youngest son after, my uncle. They both passed away, the great uncle well into his 80s, and sadly her son at 29, of a brain tumor. We were very close to my uncle as kids, he was 14 when I was born and more like a big brother. It was devastating when he passed away when I was 15. Well, almost 10 years later, my little sister became pregnant with identical twin boys. She ended up suffering from placenta previa and having to deliever her sons at 16 weeks, both had died inside of her. She named them Daniel and Jordin. Now that I'm pregnant, I very much want to name the baby Daniel, to remember those we've lost. I'm even considering Danielle or Daniella for a girl. But he is so set on having his Jr. Am I evil for considering trying to talk him out of his dream just so I can have mine? I'm so torn :-(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 1:05 AM
Replies (11-15):
JadeTigr7
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:14 AM
I agree. It takes two to make a baby and if he's going to be in the baby's life he deserves to have a say in what his child is named.

To the OP I hope he will at least consider compromising with you. My husband was never interested in a JR. Our oldest sons name is his middle name.

Quoting anxiousschk:

I really, REALLY disagree with this.  

To completely disregard his wishes sets you up for so many problems later, not to mention, why would you disrespect the man that you love and that you've chosen to have a child with that way?  

I would attempt a compromise with Daniel as the middle name.  

Quoting lovemygage:

If she is OK with it, I'd do it!

YOU are pregnant, yeah its his kid, but still- he's not even close with his dad.

I am naming my boy after my brother that passed, so I know its a sensitive meaningful thing.

Your momma! Your in charge, let him be pissed.

LaughingTattoo
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:18 AM

Hes bein unreasonable....Thomas Daniel is a lovely name...as is the opposite. Stick with that and stand firm. Or tell him it will be an ENTIRELY diff name.

RhondaVeggie
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:05 AM
I'd go with Daniel Thomas. If your hubby is Thomas and his dad is Thomas too then even if the kid is called Thomas Daniel he will wind up being called Daniel anyway.
tyrelsmom
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:13 AM
I'd go with Thomas Daniel.
He'd be called Daniel anyway to avoid confusion, and DH gets his JR.

Or Danielle for a girl.
jesuschild06
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:25 AM

I know some people do "if its a boy you pick, if its a girl i pick" kind of deal, but i would stand firm on compromising. He needs to understand your feelings too. you coud even have 2 middle names. A lot of people do that as well, that way it has all of dads name plus the one name mama wants.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN