Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

How do I stand up to my employer?

Posted by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:31 PM
  • 9 Replies
I'm so frustrated!!! I just left the er not too long ago with my daughter to find out that we both have the flu along with bronchitis.. He advised me to keep her home and out I daycare of course and since I'm pregnant and the flu is horrible right now, that I shouldn't return to work for at least 4 days.. Well, I call my boss to tell her this and I'm basically told I have to be at work. I'm at work right now. I'm the manager and she is my regional manager, If I am sick and my employees can not cover my shift, she is supposed to.. I want so bad to go over her head but I'm afraid it will cause me my job. How should I handle it? I really don't want to be on anyone's bad side, and if I don't mind working but i feel horrible and weak and on top of it all I need to be home with my daughter!! I feel like such a bad mother, even though she is with my mom right now and is being taken care of, I need to be there with her!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Did you get a note stating the health risk of having you at work while ill on top of being pregnant? I'd submit that to her as well as your higher-ups and they'll have no choice. 

Larsbug
by Laura on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:37 PM

if your doctor or the ER doctor gave you notice thenn I don't see a reason why she is making you go in...go higher up with the notice

blessedmommy864
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:41 PM
Yeah the er gave me papers saying what I have along with the meds they prescribed me with a note saying not to return to work until the 14th. I told her that and that's when she said if I can get it covered its fine, if not i have to work it.. I just feel like she's lazy and she doesn't want to have to come in and work it herself!

Quoting Pandapanda:

Did you get a note stating the health risk of having you at work while ill on top of being pregnant? I'd submit that to her as well as your higher-ups and they'll have no choice. 

ColieO
by Gold Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:44 PM
Eh. I don't know if there is much you can do. I had strep throat and the company i worked for at the time didn't give a shit. They wouldn't even accept the doctors note because theysaid it was against the law, HIPAA violation.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alexandrias
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:33 PM
U should contact ur HR department, that's completely un ethical and not to mdntion against the law. If you have a note from a MD stating ththat u cant work..then u cant work.
Amycapl
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Number 1, who the hell wants someone sick with the flu working next to them, shedding virus all over the damn place (no offense)

and number 2, rest is one of the most important parts of recovery. if you're not resting, you are putting yourself and your baby at serious risk.

and number 3, what a C U Next Tuesday your boss is.

doulala
by Emerald Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:40 PM

You might say you need a short-notice planned absence and take the last 2 days off, like a compromise.    Of course, this is IF you feel up to that!
REALLY you should put your health & safety as your top priority, IMO, though.

hugs!    What a hard situation.

:-(

doulala
by Emerald Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:43 PM

She said "if you can get it covered?"    
   So you can ask to find someone else to do it and if not she gets to.

Quoting blessedmommy864:

she said if I can get it covered its fine, if not i have to work it.. I just feel like she's lazy and she doesn't want to have to come in and work it herself!
blessedmommy864
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:36 AM
That's the problem.. I have 3 employees who all go to school and can't work my schedule! I got some rest last night, got off at 5 and went to bed at 7.. I feel better than yesterday but I'm so sore! I go in at one today and work til 9 and if I still feel like this tonight I'm def telling her I'm not working tomorrow. If they fire me, I'm sure there's something I can do with these notes and the fact that I've worked 3 days already barely holding my head up! I miss having a job where I can just call in!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)