Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Do you/will you let the dr use forceps, suction or pull on baby in any way?

Posted by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:29 PM
  • 86 Replies
I was not aware they did any of that with my first! They used a suction with my second. Idk im just not comfortable with it AT ALL.

Especially after the story about the dr detaching the babys head. That was the worst thing ive ever read and apparantly not the first time! :'(

Im probably going to add that to my birth plan...

Will you/did you allow it?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mamasgirl524
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:30 PM
They used forceps and a suction on my first daughter :-/
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
CheyennesMommy2
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:37 PM
Yikes! Why both? Why do they even need them?? I wonder IF I can decline something like that...where is doulala or louzanny..err however you spell them!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JadeTigr7
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:45 PM

They yanked my daughter out of me with my 2nd.

No, I would not allow them to do that if there wasn't a reason to get them out quickly.  However, I have a midwife and she doesn't have any of those things anyways. 

CheyennesMommy2
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:46 PM
Yikes!!

I wonder if I can decline. Why do they do that?? Whats the reason?

Quoting JadeTigr7:

No, I would not allow them to do that if there wasn't a reason to get them out quickly.  However, I have a midwife and she doesn't have any of those things anyways. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
doulala
by Emerald Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:48 PM
1 mom liked this

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!

JadeTigr7
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:49 PM

I had been drugged and was hyperventilating, my daughter was crowning and because I wasn't breathing correctly she wasn't getting oxygen.  There were way better ways to handle the situation, but OB's aren't always trained in those ways.  My OB wouldn't have done that though if I hadn't been freaking out.  He also cut me and between that and the resulting tear (from his hands going in to grab her) I ended up with a 4th degree tear.  Lots of fun damage.

Quoting CheyennesMommy2:

Yikes!!

I wonder if I can decline. Why do they do that?? Whats the reason?

Quoting JadeTigr7:

brittany208
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:50 PM

No, I would not allow that. I came out with forceps, and I turned out okay, but that doesn't mean I want them doing that to my baby.

finnbar
by Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:51 PM
Of course you can say no to anything the hospital wants to do. Whether they will respect your wishes is hit or miss.
There are good techniques to naturally and safely move a stuck baby during birth.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
doulala
by Emerald Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:52 PM

You probably won't have the chance--    You might be able to but it doesn't mean the doctor will stop.     And by the time you realize it is happening it may be too late.   One yank is enough.

To avoid this (and many other) complications it is safest to work for as normal a labor experience as possible.     Avoiding unnecessary risks & interventions is important--  including lying down/having someone "deliver" the baby (other than yourself).       You have options, sure, you can give birth without any hands or eyes in that area~

Quoting CheyennesMommy2:

Yikes!!

I wonder if I can decline.
haymama
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:54 PM
I would NOT allow that at all
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)