Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

I'm going to try and ask this question as calmly and nicley as possible...

Why in the world would someone get a new puppy, weeks before their baby is due? 

I mean, I've seen 3 first time moms do this now... I cant imagine being up with night time feeding, diapers, comforting my crying newborn AND dealing with a puppy. 

Am I missing something? Lol

For our family we don't have pets yet, and wont for quite some time. (Even thought we would LOOOVE a dog lol) With DH being in the Military, always moving, and 2 kids its just a little much for me. Plus dogs are expensive after a while. 2 boxes of diapers AND dog food?! credit card

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:52 AM
Replies (11-20):
Aully1
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 3:31 PM
1 mom liked this

My OB says that dogs introduce a variable into the home environment that help boost a baby's natural immune system.  Meaning, dogs are not 100% sterile and anti-bacterial and such, and their germs and dander and such help babies be healthier because they are exposed to more things than if they were in a 100% perfectly clean environment with no pets.  It helps build their immune system to be exposed to such things.  (moreso than cats even!)

I'd still have to agree, right before bringing home a newborn is still not the easiest time to bring home a new puppy, though!!!

Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Jan. 11, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Because they didn't think it through at all! 

We just got a puppy a few days before Christmas. The same day we moved into the new house we just bought. HORRIBLE idea! I don't even have a new baby, just a toddler who gets into everything. It's so hard dealing with everything AND the puppy.

amy31308
by Ashlee on Jan. 11, 2013 at 4:38 PM
Eh I'd do it.. we don't want to get a dog til spring/summer so that'll probably be me :-p
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama2gg
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 4:50 PM
Cause they want one lol

My dogs just breed and she is due a week before I am , why did I do this? Because it is NOT that hard to take care of a dog or puppiee
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama2gg
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 4:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Haha no some people can handel it one of my damns is due a week before me so ill have PUPPIES with a new born lol

Its NOT that hard newborns do not take a ton of care boobs and diapers that's it

Quoting Mrs.Andrews:

We just got a puppy a few days before Christmas. The same day we moved into the new house we just bought. HORRIBLE idea! I don't even have a new baby, just a toddler who gets into everything. It's so hard dealing with everything AND the puppy.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Jan. 11, 2013 at 6:14 PM
1 mom liked this

It really depends on the puppy and the baby. Our dog is super needy and an escape artist. And my baby as a newborn screamed bloody murder for the first 6 months of her life as well as struggled to breath most of the time. I could not have dealt with a dog puppy or not at that point.

Quoting mama2gg:

Haha no some people can handel it one of my damns is due a week before me so ill have PUPPIES with a new born lol

Its NOT that hard newborns do not take a ton of care boobs and diapers that's it

Quoting Mrs.Andrews:

mama2gg
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 6:21 PM
I suppose I've never had an issue with having my three dogs and 4-8 puppied with caring for my son, being pregnant and watching my friends 4 kids (5months, 1.5 years, 2.5 years, 5 year old)

Guess I've just gotten lucky over that l last years with kids and puppies lol

Quoting Mrs.Andrews:

It really depends on the puppy and the baby. Our dog is super needy and an escape artist. And my baby as a newborn screamed bloody murder for the first 6 months of her life as well as struggled to breath most of the time. I could not have dealt with a dog puppy or not at that point.

Quoting mama2gg:

Quoting Mrs.Andrews:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Byrd15
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 6:38 PM

But you're awsome Ash! I know you could handle it! 

The girls that got puppies before their baby was born, and then gave it away were young and didn't have a clue what they were getting into... Most older woman with other children understand that a puppy is a big job, especially with a newborn.

Quoting amy31308:

Eh I'd do it.. we don't want to get a dog til spring/summer so that'll probably be me :-p

Byrd15
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 6:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Lol, kinda why I want to wait a LONG time before getting a dog... I'm liking not having animal hair all over the house...

This is the first time in our lives that DH and I haven't had a pet. We grew up with all kind of pets and it was great! But seeing as we're traveling home a lot (from NY to GA) adding a pet to the mix just isnt for us, lol.

But I totally get that other people almost need pets, I don't judge at all, just saying I didn't understand the thought process of bringing a newborn and a puppy home so close together...

Quoting Aully1:

My OB says that dogs introduce a variable into the home environment that help boost a baby's natural immune system.  Meaning, dogs are not 100% sterile and anti-bacterial and such, and their germs and dander and such help babies be healthier because they are exposed to more things than if they were in a 100% perfectly clean environment with no pets.  It helps build their immune system to be exposed to such things.  (moreso than cats even!)

I'd still have to agree, right before bringing home a newborn is still not the easiest time to bring home a new puppy, though!!!

Byrd15
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 6:43 PM

VERY NICE!!! :D 

Quoting Randi02:

When I was pregnant with my first (33 weeks) we got a puppy. We already had a one year old dog, and saw this guy being advertised by our local shelter.
I don't think it was bad, at all. I was just careful about putting my son on the floor sometimes because the puppy was around 120lbs and super clumsy by 8 months LOL
We have two cats, one dog (one passed away), and we got a 2 year old bunny off of Facebook 5 months ago. Baby #4 could be here any day :)

Oh, and we cloth diaper- so spending $400 a month on pet food probably isn't that big of a deal.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)