Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

changing my kids last names?

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 3:24 PM
  • 3 Replies

I would like to change my 2 kids last names to my fiances last name when we get married. This baby will obviously have his last name and he is their father as far as they know. The problem is their father signed the BC, but he has dissapeared and nobody can find him, so how would i change them?

by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 3:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
KristinCarr
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:05 PM
Anyone??
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
anxiousschk
by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Go to court.  You file something to have the name changed (I'd call it a petition, but can't remember if that's what it was or not.)  

Honestly, you can also move to have your fiancee adopt the kids.  You need a lawyer for it, but it's not the most expensive thing in the world (or the cheapest).  

If you have no idea where their father is or how to contact him, you generally wind up running an ad in a paper where he was last known to live.  

If you know where he is, you can contact him and see if he will sign off on the adoption.  It frees him financially from any obligation towards the kids.  

DH adopted DD years ago and we did the name change with that.  

kmqw229
by Ruby Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:02 PM
Good info!

Quoting anxiousschk:

Go to court.  You file something to have the name changed (I'd call it a petition, but can't remember if that's what it was or not.)  

Honestly, you can also move to have your fiancee adopt the kids.  You need a lawyer for it, but it's not the most expensive thing in the world (or the cheapest).  

If you have no idea where their father is or how to contact him, you generally wind up running an ad in a paper where he was last known to live.  

If you know where he is, you can contact him and see if he will sign off on the adoption.  It frees him financially from any obligation towards the kids.  

DH adopted DD years ago and we did the name change with that.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured