Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Question about natural birth

Posted by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 12:33 AM
  • 31 Replies
If you've had a natural birth this question is for you. How did you keep calm? How did you control the pain? Any techniques or ways to help? I want to go natural so bad but I worry if I wait to long where I can't get the epidural, that I will panic and not be able to control myself.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 12:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chi_moma
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 12:37 AM
1 mom liked this

Will you have someone with you during labor? My biggest thing was I forgot to breathe. I constantly had DH and the nurses reminding (calmly) to breathe. I had an epidural with my first and honestly I wouldn't recommend it. If you focus on breathing alone, it can help a lot. Maybe find something that relaxes you, a back rub, a certain song, a photo. Use that as your focal point.

doulala
by Emerald Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 12:56 AM
1 mom liked this

Faith and trust.
The attendants and the environment are very important, as well as the preparation/confidence!
:-)

Have you decided who you want to attend you and where?
What are you doing to find coping strategies/preparation?    (classes, books, videos, doula)

Heather2001
by Heather on Jan. 12, 2013 at 1:18 AM
3 moms liked this

Listen to your body and follow its cues to help the pain.  Keep in mind that contractions come and go so you get short breaks.  And the biggest thing: When you feel like you just can't do it another minute, you're almost done!!!!  Normally you've hit transition and baby is close behind when you get that "I CAN'T DO THIS ANYMORE" feeling!

Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Jan. 12, 2013 at 1:45 AM
4 moms liked this

You have to decide 150% for sure that you are not getting the epidural long before labor even starts. If you leave the option open, you WILL get the epidural when the going gets tough. 

After that, you have nothing to panic about. You know you don't want the epi and you just focus and don't even consider the epi during labor. How you keep calm is by focusing. Don't focus on the pain but on your breathing, or a focal point, or a mantra. You don't control the pain, you just ride it out and rest in between contractions. 

And just as important as focusing is having support. I myself need someone to help me focus, bring me back to earth, and remind me that I'm doing a good job. I strongly suggest hiring a doula or at least having a partner who takes birthing classes and reads up on how best to coach you. You want someone who isn't afraid, fear really gets in the way of labor no matter who is feeling the fear.

H.I.S.
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 1:49 AM
1 mom liked this
It's different for everyone, but it helped me to have a supportive husband, midwife & doula that knew when to leave me alone and when to step in and make suggestions.
Counterpressure on my lower back, swaying my hips while leaning over the bed, rocking back & forth on the toilet, and showers helped the most during early labor.
For active labor and delivery, I was honestly in "labor land"...I don't remember much of the pain now, but being immersed in water was amazing because I couuld change positions with ease. I remember telling everyone that I was scared I couldn't do it anymore during the calm stage before pushing, and my midwife reminded me that no woman has ever died from the pain of childbirth, and that my body & baby would take care of everything.
My natural birth was 1,000% better than my drugged birth for so many good reasons :)
-Mommy-2-Three-
by Bronze Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 2:08 AM

I focused on my breathing, literally telling myself "breath in, breath out, breath in, breath out" and I kept focused on visualizing my baby coming out & seeing him/her.............I used water therapy & position change too (never just lay in bed)........I've had 3 natural vaginal deliveries & although there were moments of weaknes having a great Dr was really helpful, my babies were very large for gestational age so she encouraged me to go natural since epidural increased the chances of complications & c/s & so her reminders were great motivation to me...............really focusing on breathing & not holding your breath or fighting the contractions is important I think!!!

I've personally witnessed 4 other vaginal deliveries, all 3 with epidurals & I will NEVER EVER!

BrittM1988
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 2:18 AM
1 mom liked this

I didn't it was unplanned, I was freaking out.. I tried breathing, didn't work worth anything, I tried staring at a spot on the wall, nope.. squeezing my husbands hand? Nope just wanted to kill him! I again didn't... it was THE most painful thing in my ENTIRE life... Sorry for the honesty.. but it's a sore subject for me

GodsAmiga
by Silver Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 3:31 AM

I labored almost the entire time at home. It's way more relaxing and calming at home versus the hospital. And my midwives already knew I would ask if I wanted it so they didn't offer it to me but afterwards told me I was too far along when I got there anyways. I'm glad I didn't know because it never actually crossed my mind. As for controlling the pain...all I do is walk. I've never had back pain so I know there are different things to help with that but for me so far walking is what helps and as long as I'm walking it isn't that bad. Sitting down and laying down have always made it worse. :-P

JadeTigr7
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 8:09 AM
I leaned on my husband. I did breathing and moaning through the pain. I got in the birth tub and nothing had ever helped like that before. My midwife did counter pressure.

Not bring in a bed was also a big factor. I had had 3 hospital births where I had been forced to labor in bed only and my 4th was a homebirth. The last one was by far my least painful birth.

I've never had an epidural though, it's never been an option for me.
Clei420
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 8:14 AM
2 moms liked this
I kept calling on Jesus! I didn't know what else to do.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)