Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

High blood pressure and pregnant

Posted by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 7:14 AM
  • 100 Replies
I am 37 with high blood pressure and just found out that I'm 4 weeks pregnant with my fourth. My other children are 15, 9, and 4. And as you can see, my children are spaced out. Never planned it that way but that's how it's happened.

My concern is that I have high blood pressure. My doctor has taken me off of my meds because the one's I were taking are really bad for fetal development. Plus she said my pressure will go down during the pregnancy. So my question to all that have had high blood pressure before pregnancy or even during pregnancy...what did you do to control or manage it.

Praying for a healthy pregnancy and baby and a safe delivery
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 7:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Wantn1more
by Bronze Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 7:19 AM
1 mom liked this
My bp's were borderline high when I got pregnant 150/95... Not treated though. They have been really low during pregnancy, 110/60's etc... Due to pregnancy hormones. I was afraid I'd be at a greater risk for pre e and hypertention later in pregnancy, but as of 39 weeks no issues.
Best of luck and congrats!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mami2my3rugratz
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 7:26 AM
Oh wow. You're on your way Wantn1more, and Congrats to you. :-)

So did you change your diet any or work out? Also when did you notice your pressure to decrease?

Quoting Wantn1more:

My bp's were borderline high when I got pregnant 150/95... Not treated though. They have been really low during pregnancy, 110/60's etc... Due to pregnancy hormones. I was afraid I'd be at a greater risk for pre e and hypertention later in pregnancy, but as of 39 weeks no issues.

Best of luck and congrats!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mami2my3rugratz
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 7:26 AM
And thank you. :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SOCO101
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 7:28 AM
1 mom liked this

Mine got high during my last trimester. My midwife put me on bp meds, that seemed to help. I know in some cases you may be put on bed rest. Sorry I'm not much help.

mami2my3rugratz
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 7:33 AM
That's okay SOCO101. I appreciate even that information. HBP seems to be an epidemic in my family, and I wish I didn't have to deal with it all. With my last child, I went in for a routine visit and my pressure was high. I was nursing and had to stop. I was so sad about it. :-(

Quoting SOCO101:

Mine got high during my last trimester. My midwife put me on bp meds, that seemed to help. I know in some cases you may be put on bed rest. Sorry I'm not much help.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
butterflycircle
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 8:20 AM
1 mom liked this

I didn't have high blood pressure before I was pregnant. I have had it while pregnant though. This time my dr told me that we might think about a bp pill he could give me, but it has been fine since (I am 31 weeks now). During pregnancy your bp can go down, but with weight gain your bp can go up too. I am sure she will be keeping an eye on it. My bp problems were always in my last trimester. With my first baby I was on bed rest b/c of it and with my second I was induced b/c of it.

To help keep your bp down avoid all/most sodium (canned soups and foods, fast foods, frozen meals/foods, cheese, bread even) I know that is really hard to do b/c sodium is every where. Also drink tons of water. Try to do things that help you relax (maybe a nice warm shower, scrapbooking, yoga). Laying on your left side helps your bp too.  Other than that I am not sure how to help with bp.

Good luck! Try not to worry about b/c that wont help lol and your dr is watching it too I am sure : )

mami2my3rugratz
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 9:09 AM
Thanks butterflycircle. I just started the Daniel Fast on Wednesday not knowing until yesterday that I was pregnant. I'm doing it with the church and it is pretty healthy. Now that I'm pregnant, my pastor said to eat but to eat healthy. She told me not to start out worrying, because like you stated it won't help. LOL

Thank you for your help and the great tips.

Quoting butterflycircle:

I didn't have high blood pressure before I was pregnant. I have had it while pregnant though. This time my dr told me that we might think about a bp pill he could give me, but it has been fine since (I am 31 weeks now). During pregnancy your bp can go down, but with weight gain your bp can go up too. I am sure she will be keeping an eye on it. My bp problems were always in my last trimester. With my first baby I was on bed rest b/c of it and with my second I was induced b/c of it.

To help keep your bp down avoid all/most sodium (canned soups and foods, fast foods, frozen meals/foods, cheese, bread even) I know that is really hard to do b/c sodium is every where. Also drink tons of water. Try to do things that help you relax (maybe a nice warm shower, scrapbooking, yoga). Laying on your left side helps your bp too.  Other than that I am not sure how to help with bp.

Good luck! Try not to worry about b/c that wont help lol and your dr is watching it too I am sure : )

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lifeforchrist
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 11:36 AM

try juicing!

doulala
by Emerald Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Lifestyle changes help-
Like a lot of hydration, nourishing foods (Brewer Diet), exercise, yoga....

Basically all the ideal stuff for a healthy pregnancy, anyhow!   lol

GL!

mami2my3rugratz
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 12:44 PM
lifeforchrist, what is juicing? Is that dealing with blending up certain foods?

Quoting lifeforchrist:

try juicing!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)