Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Overweight and pregnant

Posted by   + Show Post
Is anyone else overweight or obese and pregnant? How are you handling it. I've never been this heavy in my life and I'm scared I'm going to gain a lot of weight..
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 12:21 AM
Replies (131-140):
fran23
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:01 AM
Yea, I was 200 ish at the beginning of pregnancy because of thyroid problems. It was a huge adjustment from being 130 a year ago. But my medicine has been working so during my first trimester I lost some weight and I can tell I shouldnt feel the need to over eat. I just dont really exercise because its winter and there isnt much I can do. I would like to try pregnancy yoga though.
CafeMom Tickers
bluecandi
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:03 AM
HUGS!!! Im in the same boat right now. Im preggo with #3. Im 18wks and miraculously havent gained anything yet....but Im also 40# overweight so my midwife hasnt said anything about not gaining. I am hoping to not gain more than 15. I also lost 20# before I got pregnant.....I was actually trying to get closer to my ideal weight so I could be healthier before we started "trying"......but I guess God had other plans lol.
SaGe_Ed
by Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:28 AM

I was obese will all three of my pregnancies (varying degrees, but always around 100lbs overweight).  My pregnancies were normal, healthy pregnancies.  I was never on bed rest except when I was 7 weeks with my first and then only for a few days due to a threatened miscarriage (which had nothing to do with my weight and everything to do with my bad habits which I promptly quit).  I never had high blood pressure or gestational diabetes and all my tests during pregnancy came back normal.  My labor and deliveries were all normal too (my first was a c-section due to being breech, but again, nothing to do with weight, my other two were normal vbacs).  All I did was watch what I ate and do light exercise daily (basically going for a walk).  I only gained between 10-15 pounds with each pregnancy after losing around 5-10 in the first trimester due to nausea.  Even if you do gain weight, as long as you're not stuffing yourself with food or literally eating for two it will almost all come off within a few weeks after you give birth since most of it will be baby and excess fluids.

momma_gig
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:36 AM

The best advice I have (which I'm sure was already mentioned) would be to watch what you eat. Stick to a healthy diet and cut out most processed sugars, fats, and grease. Eat smaller, healthier meals more frequently. Eat lots of snacks of fruits and veggies. And drink plenty of water! Also, make sure to stay active by walking or some sort of low key exercising. I would recommend asking your doctor or a coach trained in dealing with pregnancies which exercises would be right for you. Hope this helped :)

sweetgrlangel
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:53 AM

I was obese during all of my pregnancies.  I have 4 healthy babies and 1 in heaven.  The one we lost had nothing to do with my weight, she had her cord in a figure 8 knot AND wrapped around her neck 3 times.  The doctors say no matter what there would of been nothing they could of done.

Mommy2BeAmy
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:25 AM

I was filled with so much water, I thought it was almost 100lbs of fat I gained, but thankfully it was like 22 or 23lbs I was left with. I just kept peeing the first six weeks. I think it depends what your body takes

Quoting sweetieiv:

How? I would love to lose some weight after this little one is born.

Quoting Mommy2BeAmy:

I must add I lost 86lbs 6 weeks after birth... :)

mommybear77
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:05 AM

I was 248 before concieving my second. I gained 6 lbs during, and now I weigh 229 lbs three months later.  First baby I gained 20 lbs and lost it all by 6 weeks.

TheMommaJessie
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:53 AM

i gained a lot with my son (he was my first and had 2 have him at 27 weeks because of severe preeclampsia) but with my daughter I only gained 4 pounds through the whole pregnancy and that was @ the very end.

lusso303
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:40 AM
I've lost I've lost nearly 70 pounds in the last 8 months and I know that probably within the next year me and partner will decide to have our third child. I am still losing weight and I am just hoping I will be able to continue to lose weight or not gain! I was over weight with my other to I was 182 pounds with my first and went up to 238 and then lost to stone and at the ebd of my last pregnancy weighed 280 pounds! It is so hard be pregnant and over weight!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Basherte
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:05 AM

I was overweight during all of my pregnancies. I gained a bit more weight than my doctor was happy about, but I lost it all, plus a few pounds after delivery.

I never ended up on bedrest. I think I gained like 30 pounds throughout the pregnancy. My hubby gained the same amount with our first one. He had cravings as well. I lost the weight before he did. *giggles*

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)