Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Overweight and pregnant

Posted by   + Show Post
Is anyone else overweight or obese and pregnant? How are you handling it. I've never been this heavy in my life and I'm scared I'm going to gain a lot of weight..
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 12:21 AM
Replies (141-150):
jmp1279
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:36 AM
1 mom liked this

with both of my pregnancies i lost weight my first tirmeseter and by the end i was weighed the same as i was before i got pregnant.  i didn't even have morning sickness.  i was working full time at the time with both of them.  i even  had certain cravings with each child.  with dd1 i couldn't eat enough Taco Bell, with dd2 all i wanted was chicken nuggets from McDonalds

CafeMom Tickers
heartagram_girl
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:17 AM

I am considered obese. Before I got preggo, I was 185 lbs and 5"1'. I actually lost 15 lbs just from the change of diet and getting a bit more exercise. I am very worried about gaining too muc weight- I watch everything I eat. I have never eaten so many salads and fresh veggies in my life. I havent had anything 'sweet' to eat in 3 weeks- simply because I am scared of gaining too much weight. I know how you feel. I know being obese is bad, but I just didnt care about my weight before- it was just a number. But having a little baby depend on me for everything has changed how I look at things- and has provided the motivation I needed to get off the couch and eating more healthy.

I think that if you are just smart about your serving size and cut out the 'empty calories', and just go for a 20 minute walk 3-4 days a week, you should be good. That is what my doc told me and so far, she has been right. I have been able to keep my weight gain down just by double thinking about what is going in my mouth, and drinking lots of water when I think I am hungry. Also I eat 6 SMALL meals. I eat 1/3 of what I used to eat at each meal.

I can understand about being nauseous all the time. But eat some crackers and some water or weak tea. That may help. Candied ginger helped me a lot. Try to keep a food diary- and keep to it. Dont lie to it- you will only be hurting yourself.

I know you can have a healthy pregnancy. Remember, you have someone depending on you for everything now. Isnt that worth giving up a few things to make sure your LO arrives safe and healthy? Feel free to message me. I know what you are going through.

CafeMom Tickers
yperez0209
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:50 AM

About a year before getting pregnant I start to exercise and log everything I was eating on a piece of paper on the fridge. A year later I've lost about 45 pounds slowly. I'm still considered obese by  about 15 pounds. I guess because I have been exercising 5 times a week I fit into a size 14 normally, not squeezing into it. Alot of my weight is at my breast area.

This is the way I'm handling it. Everything I'm going to share with you I've already spoke to my OB about. He said to continue going to the gym. No crazy classes like bootcamp or attack. No ab work. He said spinning, zumba, even weight classes ( with some changes ) are fine. And I feel great, my blood sugar is great, I'm not nauseous like the other pregnancies. I do have to up my calorie intake by 300 calories a day. I have to consume at least 2100 calories a day minimum. They will monitor my weight and that's about it.

I think you just have to use common sense. Eat the right portions ( that's my biggest enemy ) and the greener the better.

If it helps, when I've been pregnant and extremely over weight I have not gained much. With my son I was pushing a size 20 and I only gained 12 pounds that i lost at the delivery.

Maybe you can also see someone to put you on an eating schedule. A nutritionist.  

weetnee
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:52 AM

my last pregnancy i was around 220 pounds. but my first trimester i ended up losing around 20 pounds. after i gave birth i was 5 pounds lighter than i was when i first got pregnant. you may lose or you may gain weight. every pregnancy is different.

weetnee
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Quoting jmp1279:

with both of my pregnancies i lost weight my first tirmeseter and by the end i was weighed the same as i was before i got pregnant.  i didn't even have morning sickness.  i was working full time at the time with both of them.  i even  had certain cravings with each child.  with dd1 i couldn't eat enough Taco Bell, with dd2 all i wanted was chicken nuggets from McDonalds

omg! this totally sounds like me! i never had morning sickness either. i was also working full time working at Taco Bell! i ate it every single day lol. also i didn't have morning sickness but my appetite was different every day and things would make me feel nauseous but i would never vomit. but McDonalds ALWAYS sounded so good.. i ate a lot of that too. and i lost 20 pounds in my first trimester. crazy lol. but i think that might be because i walked everywhere when i was pregnant both times. we didn't have a car. 

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

.ChiMama.
by Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:09 AM

I was during my last pregnancy. Knowing the risks of me gaining more than 5-10 pounds (told by a dr) i was really good about what i ate and making sure i was walking around as much as i could. Luckily I was craving a lot of fruits and salads. I ended up gaining only 7 lbs and my son was 8.7 lbs. Just watch what you eat and try to keep active. Don't believe the whole eating for 2 crap.

AmyL3469
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:13 AM

I was 204 when I started this pregnancy. I had just lost 24 lbs over the past year. I have hypothyroidism, so it's very easy to gain, very hard to lose.

I'm handling it by logging all of my foods as I was doing to lose the weight. Eating healthy. Moving, not sitting on my butt all day. 

Lilypie Maternity tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
AmyL3469
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:14 AM

I agree with you. During my first, I was told to eat more because I was eating for 2. I had no idea I wasn't supposed to... I gained 60 lbs with her! My 2nd daughter, I gained 16 and weighed less a few weeks PP than I did before I got pregnant with her.

Quoting .ChiMama.:

I was during my last pregnancy. Knowing the risks of me gaining more than 5-10 pounds (told by a dr) i was really good about what i ate and making sure i was walking around as much as i could. Luckily I was craving a lot of fruits and salads. I ended up gaining only 7 lbs and my son was 8.7 lbs. Just watch what you eat and try to keep active. Don't believe the whole eating for 2 crap.

Lilypie Maternity tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Jess21608
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Yep I hate the big O word but by my BMI thats what I am, I carry my weight pretty well though and am fairly tall so that helps. I lost 50 pounds before I got pregnant. Im currently 36 weeks have my appt today but I have gained 20 pounds total my OB wanted me to gain only 10 and I tried my hardest but it is what it is she hasnt said anything about it. I dont think its been anymore difficult then someone elses pregnancy..being so far along Im SUPER uncomfortable but thats with most other ladies I do believe. You will do just fine. Eat as good as you can, light exercies, vitamins and you will do great! Haha its sad but the biggest worry I had was that I wouldnt look pegnant and even know thats a thing of the past.

Just remember in the end all thats going to matter is your precious healthy baby in your arms!!

aimers828
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Hi, I am currently considered obese. I actually had weight loss surgery in August 2010 and lost 100lbs, then gained 30 back. I was 265 when I found out I was pregnant, and I am 6 weeks tomorrow. I am hoping to not gain much during this pregnancy by eating healthy and walking on the treadmill.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)