Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Overweight and pregnant

Posted by   + Show Post
Is anyone else overweight or obese and pregnant? How are you handling it. I've never been this heavy in my life and I'm scared I'm going to gain a lot of weight..
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 12:21 AM
Replies (151-160):
festival
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:21 AM
1 mom liked this

well you are eating for 2 now . now whats important is that you u are healthy for the baby. if u are gaining to much weight talk to your doctor to make sure  everything is going good for u. enjoy your pregnancyafter all your hubby will still love u whether u are fat or skinny. stop looking at the scale and start looking at cute maturnity clothes. i dress up all the time with maturnity clothes. i love  dressing up when i was pregnant but of course that was 25 yrs ago.

muchlovedby4
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:56 AM
I was 50 lbs overweight before i got pregnant with this LO. My midwife told me at the outset "Do NOT gain more than 20 lbs. it's dangerous for you an the baby." So i've been making sure i get at least half an hour of moderate exercise every day. Eating lots of lean protein and veggies. My biggest thing, tho, has been watching my portions, no snacking unless i crave it (and then only a small amount). And i almost never eat more than 1 helping. On the nights i do (my mom's lasagne is AMAZING), i just exercise a lil more n eat a lil less the next day.

My midwife is very proud of me, btw. At 37 wks, i've only gained 16 lbs. :)
kristaleigh84
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:56 AM

I started out on the line of overweight and obese. I'm 5'1 and was 192 when I got pregnant (with twins!..probably why i had twins too) but as soon as I found out i started freaking out. However i started walking no less than 30 minutes a day (consecutive minutes not 30 minutes total a day lol) and started watching what I ate. I also did end up with Gestational Diabetes. Having both PCOS and a thyroid condition...plus twins made my chances increase exponentially for getting it. When I was diagnosed with GD i had to be even more careful of what I ate, I really kept to the diet and during the whole pregnancy only gained 20 lbs. When the babies were born I was back down to my pre pregnancy weight and as i lost the "baby weight" i'm now 170. Not ideal for my height but better than before. Moral of the story, don't fret you CAN do things to help yourself. Definitely cut out sugar (if you can! give in to cravings once in a while, but try to stay away for the most part!) and definitely get some form of exercise in. For me the most crucial part of it all was to have a balanced meal for EVERY meal. This meant carbs, protien and fruits/veggies. I ate mostly veggies cause fruits have high natural sugars and end up counting as carbs. Dont stress though...that will only make it harder on yourself. 

xLilBit22
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:34 AM
According to my BMI im over weight but im not trying to worry about it so much since my weight isnt soo high
arigdon4
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:46 AM

yes and no. I had 2 mc while ttc

Quoting Mommasethi:

Quoting arigdon4:

Im very overweight. When i had ds 2 and a half weeks ago i was 4 pounds lighter than my prepregnancy weight. Mind you, he was nearly a 10pound baby so he was always getting plenty. But i changed my diet when i got pregnant to be healthier for him.
I lost 42pounds during my first trimester..i'm not 36pounds lighter than when i had him and still loosing.

Im not the rule, mind you, but i am still eating better and i FEEL better. And my doc told me that a lot of overweight mamas lose some weight during ppregnancy. Just watch out for gestational diabeates sp?

Hi there! That's amazing you were able to do that. I know this is completely off topic but did you have any trouble getting pregnant? I weight about 180 lbs and my docs are telling me I need to lose weight to conceive. I am about 5'6. This has me totally stressed out. My hubby and I have been trying for 8 months with no success. Thank you!

Anliena
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Have you madea  facebook group?  I'm 6w3d and overweight as well.  I'd love to join a FB group with women in a similar sitution to help support each other and have fit and healthy pregnancies! 

Quoting asaffell:

Hugs, mama. It's hard, especially in the beginning. I got pregnant after losing around 25 pounds and gained a bit back right away. The first trimester was awful and I barely did anything, so I'm just now getting back to working out and being active. I'm actually hoping to get a group of us together on Facebook who are trying to have fit and healthy pregnancies. :)

puertoricangeek
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:02 PM

I was almost 300 lbs when I got pregnant this time. As of this morning at my dr. appt. I was down to 276lbs. It all depends on you body and what you change.

Mrsfarr
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:12 PM
I was 300 pounds before I got pregnant and worked out really hard and lost 60 pounds before I actually conceived. I was hoping to be under 200 before anything happened but it just wasn't in the cards..
I worried for the longest time that I'd gain every single pound back and tried so hard to keep exercising every day. I some how managed to give myself really intense contractions at 20 weeks doing that. So I've had to more or less stop but I'm currently 37 weeks and have gained a whopping 3 pounds. I don't eat 100% healthy and I've been fairly lazy for the past few months.
Limit junk and fatty foods to once a week and try to at least walk a few times a week and you'll probably be ok.
harymarshman
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Don't stress, eat healthy and try to enjoy your pregnancy. I weighed 298 lbs when I got pregnant with my daughter, I was never put on bed rest, never got gestational diabetes and gained 63 lbs. (40 of that was in the last week when my body swelled up and retained water, that was fun.) What I did have was awful morning sickness, pinched nerves, swelling for 5 months of the pregancy, pregnancy induced hypertension the last month and awful heartburn. I lost all of the pregnancy weight within 3 months of having my daughter by watching what I eat, and by not retaining water anymore haha. Just listen to your body, you have had it your entire life. Listen to the clues it gives you and just do the things you know you need to. It's gonna be ok, good luck mama.

hkcason
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:03 PM

I started this pregnancy the heaviest I'd ever been too. I've really tried to watch what I eat & so far I've only gained 11lbs & I'm almost 34 weeks. It doesn't hurt I'd been craving strawberries & pineapple!! Yummy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)