Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Overweight and pregnant

Posted by   + Show Post
Is anyone else overweight or obese and pregnant? How are you handling it. I've never been this heavy in my life and I'm scared I'm going to gain a lot of weight..
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 12:21 AM
Replies (161-170):
princessmom509
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:14 PM
While pregnant with my last who is now almost two months old, I was diagnosed with graves disease and hyperthyroidism so I didnt gain any weight. I started out weighing 230 pounds and when she was born I weighed 167...but I definitely know how hard it is to be over weight and pregnant. I have 5 kids and when I was pregnant with my oldest I weighed 169 before I became pregnant then when he was born I was up to 191. And I never lost the weight. And I always gained at least 10 pounds durin the pregnancy which i couldnt lose after the pregnancy. I watched what I ate and excerised. With my 4th child I was finally able to do something right and keep myself healthy. I gained 7 pounds and was able to lose all the weight and an additional 10 pounds just by excerising and eatting smaller more frequent meals. Its hard but you can do it. And congrats on being prego!

Quoting Cmarie89:

Yeah I'm scared that I may have to be on bed rest near the end, I'm only 8 weeks pregnant and 200 lbs. the doctor said I only need to gain 11-20 Lbs and idk if that's possible lol, I'm trying to walk but I'm just so tired and nauseous all I wanna do is sleep..

swmmra
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I am 5'9" and started this pregnancy at 257. My goal was to lose weight before the baby and I was able to lose some, but not as much as I wanted to. So far, at 38 weeks, I hav only gained 12 lbs because I have been very careful about what I eat. I did not add the extra 300 calories to my diet, because energy wise I didn't need it. I was luck in that fresh fruit and veggies were available for a good chunk of the first and second part of my pregnany and I lived off those. I knew that I could eat a carrot whenever I was hungry. I could not eat meat for a while, so I'm sure that helped. I also taught a water aerobics class twice a week until I was 32 weeks pregnant. I have been VERY careful about what I have been eating and how much because I didn't want to gain a lot of weight with this pregnancy. If you are aware of what you are eating and keep up your physical activity you will be ok. Discuss your concern with your Dr so that they can help you to stay on a healthy track for both you and baby. 

bellygirl
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:44 PM
Exercise and eat healthy! Don't use pregnancy as an excuse to gain more weight as your body doesn't need it. A woman gains the necessary weight each pregnancy to support the pregnancy, anymore than what's necessary is just poor eating habits and not enough exercise. You can do something about this. Just curious as to what kind of reassurance in which you seek? You don't have to gain a lot of weight. In fact, if you are already overweight, you may not need to gain any at all. Get up and move , eat healthy you're do fine.
1stTimeMom1982
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 12:55 PM
It's possible. Just watch what you eat. I wasn't obese with my daughter but I was what I considered overweight and I put on 20 lbs with her. Your dr is right and it's for your health. Good luck.

Quoting Cmarie89:

Yeah I'm scared that I may have to be on bed rest near the end, I'm only 8 weeks pregnant and 200 lbs. the doctor said I only need to gain 11-20 Lbs and idk if that's possible lol, I'm trying to walk but I'm just so tired and nauseous all I wanna do is sleep..
victoriahearts
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 12:59 PM

I can't say that I'm your situation when if you are worried about gaining too much weight why not make an appointment with a nutrionist , she/he should be able to help you figure out a way where you can have a healthy pregnancy with regard to weight gain but also help you prevent putting on extra pounds, this would also come in handy if you wanted to keep seeing her after you have the baby to help lose the weight. Best of luck. 

KristinaRusso
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 3:12 PM

I am overweight, DR just said I have to watch my weight. Eat healthy but dont over do it. So I have lost 4 lbs but dr isn't complaining.

MrsBorho
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 6:56 PM
Im 18 weeks 211 lbs havnt gained any weight yet! With my 2 other pregnancy I started out in the 140's and gained like 60 70 lbs!
southernbelletx
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 7:06 PM
I am not over weight but I have kept my gain to a minimum. I eat smaller, more protein filled meals and snack on frozen fruit with stevia on top, or blended with a light yogurt as s "milkshake" I've gaine 7 pounds at 33 weeks.
asaffell
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 12:41 AM

Not yet! I'm planning on getting it started this weekend. I'll send you a message with my Facebook information!

Quoting Anliena:

Have you madea  facebook group?  I'm 6w3d and overweight as well.  I'd love to join a FB group with women in a similar sitution to help support each other and have fit and healthy pregnancies! 

Quoting asaffell:

Hugs, mama. It's hard, especially in the beginning. I got pregnant after losing around 25 pounds and gained a bit back right away. The first trimester was awful and I barely did anything, so I'm just now getting back to working out and being active. I'm actually hoping to get a group of us together on Facebook who are trying to have fit and healthy pregnancies. :)

rainbowfloyd
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:37 AM

i too am almost 200lbs and about 9 weeks, im super nervous to gain weight, i wish i wouldve lost weight b4 i got pregnnat but too late now :( i gained 50 lbs with my last child and still weighed less then i do now. its so depressing. i dont know what to do?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)